Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob Opinions (not looking to start a war)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob Opinions (not looking to start a war)

Hi,

I've been riding about a year now. And my bike is a 2007 XL1200C. I like it a lot but I'm looking for something larger. I've found that I get blown around a lot in windy conditions. And it also feels a little underpowered at highway cruising. I still want to stay in a cruiser and I'm not looking at anything with a fairing or stuff like that. So I'm looking hard at Dyna's and Softails. My leanings are towards a bigger bike with a fatter front wheel and a good ride at highway speeds. And I'm tall enough (6') that I don't need, or want, a low rider. So I'm really thinking Fat Boy or Fat Bob might be the way I should go. Realizing this is a Dyna forum, I'd like your thoughts on these two bikes and on the ride of the Fat Bob.

I've heard ST's don't handle as well as Dyna's. But will I notice? I don't ride them hard.

I've also heard the counter-balanced engine vibrates a bit at highway speeds (whereas Dyna's vibrate more at idle). True or false?

And I know the seating posture is different on the two. More reclined in the Fat Boy. Not sure if that matters to me yet. I've ridden neither one. And I realize that's the ultimate decision maker. But I'm interested in people's experiences, too.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same questions come to my mind,I just recently totaled my bike and even though it was a 2011 Wide Glide and I loved it to death I don't have any experience on a soft tail.I'm heading out to Delaware in a couple of mins. to look at new bikes (as soon as the other half gets home)and I'll say one thing the new Black Line really catches my eye,but I think more than likely I'll end up on a new Wide Glide.There is not much that puts a smile on face when saddled up on the Wide Glide.IMO

Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 PM
zrx4me
Cruiser

I rode the '12 fat boy at bike week and with the 103 it seems like a totally different bike.Better power and with the new seat and bars it was great.Having said that,im somewhat partial to fatbobs.Better handling and 2 brakes up front.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I bought my Fat Bob last summer I test ride like 6 different Fat Boy softails cause I love the big tire heavy bike look. I also took 3 different Dyna Fat Bob's for a test rides and it all came down to the Fat Bob just felt better riding it. Sitting on the show room floor I was more impressed with the looks of the Fat Boy, riding the bikes I was more impressed with the Fat Bob. So just my two cents I would say it boils down to which you are more into because you have to pay for it. I'd say test ride both of them several times and then decide, I know personally I'd choose the Fat Bob Dyna every time over the Fat Boy Soft tail.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM
hart11b
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak for the Softails, but my Fat Bob is a great handling bike. It handles everything I throw at it.

As far as the vibration goes. The Dynas vibrate at idle, but are very smoothe at crusing RPM.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
big ron
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have owned a Fat Boy and currently own a Dyna; I will never own another soft tail:
Handling; The dyna has more ground clearance giving it more lean angle and less rake making it handle better. The Bob has dual discs and comes with forward controls. The only knock on the bob is the looks. I do not like the proportions of the wheels with the rest of the bike. I have seen it with a set of HD 18" wheels and it looked like a totally different bike; much better. I have also seen it with a bob fender similiar to the wide glide and it looked much improved. Soft tails are split tails; men ride Dynas

Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Al-Sheikh
Advanced

I had to make this decision about 6 months ago. After test riding several fat bobs, fat boys and RKCs I decided that the Fat Bob was build for me. I think one of the reasons was my disliking the floorboards on the RKC and the Fat Boy - giving me this "knee to the ear" feeling. The forwards on the Fat Bob are better for long-legged riders imho. It's all personal preference of cause.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 PM
ixlr8
Intermediate
Default specs

Be sure to study the specs listed for each model on HD's web page. The Fat Bob has floating brake rotors which will be less likely to warp and give better mating of the pads to the discs but the most important chassis item for me is the trail of less than 5 inches. This alone will give quicker turning, especially better at high speed than the FL or Softail series, but with the 16 inch front rim this should be a very nicely handling hog. Or hawg if you prefer. For my own pleasure I modify suspension and brakes as needed and I would add slightly longer rear shock to save what is left of my spine and give some more cornering clearance. I live where few roads goes straight long enough for passing tractor-trailers. And I prefer mid controls (with highway pegs) which once was an option for this model but the parts are still available. A suitable exhaust, breather and some through over bags and I'm done.

The most important option is you. Gather your coins and insist on a test ride of each model. Both bikes look great. Go with what feels most natural for you riding how you ride.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer

Fat boy lo hands down. The fat bob needs a different rear fender IMO.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 PM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you comming off a sportster, you will love the fat bob...
less rake = better cornering
better ground clearence in corners
better braking with the dual disc front wheel
besides the look of the fat front wheel, because of its size it tends to ignore those irrating groves in the rode surface

Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs. Fat Bob Opinions (not looking to start a war)