Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
JoeRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New coating on used exhaust? - Thunderheader (black)

I purchased a used Thunderheader (black) for my FatBob here on the forum, thank you Jeremy! I new it needed some TLC, figured instead of doing the high temp rattle can, I would take it up a notch and have it Ceramic Coated. So I checked with my local powder coater, told me he wouldn't recommend powdercoating, that it won't last, burn off in a year or so. He said I should get it plated or ceramic coated. So I started to look for a ceramic coating company online, remembered Jet-Hot, so sent a quote off to them. I heard back within a few hours and was SHOCKED at the price! $495.50 to ceramic coat my thunderheader, Not including the shields, Not including shipping and handling! I couldn't believe it, so bummed!

So I guess that black rattle can is looking really good now. Any thoughts? Any alternatives?

Last edited by JoeRock; 05-07-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 PM
JoeRock
Cruiser

Just thought, wasn't there a member here that does powder coating to exhausts, Powder Pro Joe? I thought I remembered reading something a few months ago about it...gonna try a search...

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes Joe is the man for powder.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 PM
JoeRock
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JaronB
Yes Joe is the man for powder.
I just found an exhaust he did in shiny black, sent him a PM....Thanks!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Powder won't last on a t header....
Bbq paint it or wrap it..

Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 AM
xantasm
Supporter

You can get really good quality Very High Temp paint from Summit racing for less than $20. Used it on my mufflers and they came out nice. You can either bake the paint on in an oven for 4 hours or use the 30 min 2 hour routine of 30 min at idle, let cool, 2 hour ride, let cool to cure the paint. You can get VHT rated between 600 - 1400 degrees which is high enough to resist flaking and wear for quite a while.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/VHT/

Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 AM
JoeRock
Cruiser

Thanks John, I did see the VHT while searching online last night. I even considered wrapping the pipe as 07bobber suggested, but I heard good and bad about the wrap. I saw were wrapping the pipe may cause header to crack? Maybe I'll check with thunderheader as I see lots do the wrap and I surely would appreciate the reduction in heat.

As for the VHT, I see they recommend 3 or 4 coats, cleaner, primer, paint, clear... Did you do your mufflers per their recommendation? Of course I don't have an oven big enough to bake the entire pipe, so I would have to do the idle/ride cure. No biggie, another reason to play with the bike! Also I see VHT talks about silicone ceramic being in the finish, similar to ceramic coating? I dunno. Also see mention of use with Nasa and the aerospace industry...maybe worth a try. Summit is close to me here in Ohio, and I always enjoy the trip thru the showroom, although my wife gets a little worried when I go there! Lots of goodies at Summit!

I also sent a PM to Powder Pro Joe to see what he says about a high temp powder, I'll keep you guys posted!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM
QC-RAIDERS-91
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the thunderheader really loud, because I really like that exhaust and would love one on the dyna but some "artist" in Quebec forced the government to check every exhaust system with a sonometer and everyone higher than 100something in decibel get a 150$ fines and I can't afford to pay that every 2weeks

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by QC-RAIDERS-91
Is the thunderheader really loud, because I really like that exhaust and would love one on the dyna but some "artist" in Quebec forced the government to check every exhaust system with a sonometer and everyone higher than 100something in decibel get a 150$ fines and I can't afford to pay that every 2weeks
We have the same thing happening in Alberta, I added Thunder Monster QQ baffles to my 2" Cycle Shack "M" pipes and I'm still a bit loud but it's a clean, deep sound...not real raspy like a T-Header. I ride with RCMP occaisionally and they've never said a thing...I also am careful with the throttle, especially around built up areas.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 AM
JoeRock
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC-RAIDERS-91
I am unable to give you exact db numbers, as I haven't had it mounted on my bike and have never been measured. But I can tell you, while riding with others running the thunderheader, it does have a pronounced sound. Some consider it to be loud...def not as loud as custom open pipes, but I definitely think, at WOT, it would click over the 100 decibel limit you mentioned. I wouldn't say it is a stealth type of exhaust system. Maybe you could contact Thunderheader Racing Products and see if they have any db numbers.

Quick Reply: New ceramic coating on used exhaust - Thunderheader