Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help guys - forward/mid controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Danielle21
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help guys - forward/mid controls

So, I finally purchased an '06 Street Bob! I need some guidance and suggestions though on a couple of things. The man that owned it before me was like 6'5 and I cannot even reach his extended reach forward controls. I'm 5'6, a bit closer to 5'7 with boots on. I don't see a lot of women riders in general around here, so I'm not sure if it's a height issue or a man/woman thing. I grew up on dirtbikes and feel comfortable with mid controls. I am not opposed to using forward controls if I could reach them. My brother is a mechanic and said he would either move the controls to mid position, or he can add the reduced reach forward control pieces. So, I am torn and not sure what would be a better choice. The reduced reach forward controls are about $180. I think relocating the controls from forward to mid would be more expensive maybe $300 or $400. Any advice is majorly appreciated! xxoo -Danielle

Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

We just picked up a Dyna that has mids. We are used to riding with floorboards that are forward. We love the mids!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
WrayZor
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can ride either or, but on long rides, extending your legs is great. I had mids with highway pegs and loved it on long lonely rides. However on rides through the city on a busy highway or interstate, I didn't feel comfortable with my legs on the highway pegs away from the rear brake and shifter. If I was to get into a tense situation I would always be going from mid position to highway pegs. The best thing I ever done was the fwd controls. I am 5'10" and got the standard fwd controls. I still have a slight bend in the leg, but am way more comfortable on every ride now.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
twerkman2
Cruiser

try a reduced reach seat at the dealership to test see if you can reach with it before you move controls. a member on here has foward controls and he has reduced seat he said it works for him (hes short just so you know).

Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM
night09train
Cruiser

if you grew up on dirtbikes you will like the mid controlls better i think. im 6'1 and i love the mids. best bet is check the classified ads here and try and find some mids or try and trade.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Tepidy
Tourer

I just switched to the Harley forward controls. Best move I made !!! I'm 5' 10" and it's a great improvement over mid's. Better comfort and handling

Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 PM
BallisticVoodoo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being 6'2 I thought I wanted forwards when I first got my bike but after having it for a while I'm really liking the mids. I feel the mids offer better control in the turns.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I have Mid/Highway Pegs. Gives me more positions to move around to when on long rides.

The same question was asked a week or so ago, here is the link to it if you would like to see more opinions.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-controls.html

Last edited by Gommee; 05-08-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: announciation
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
QU13T MAN
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same when I purchased my 2010 FXD. I thought I wanted the forwards and was advised by my salesman to wait on the switch until I had a chance to ride with the mids. I'm glad I took his advise. I personally feel that I have much more control over the bike with the mids. I installed highway pegs for the stretch on longer rides but am very happy with the mids. Of course this is all about personal preference and personal comfort so take my opinion for what it is worth..have fun and stay safe.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
tonygret
Tourer

I was going to buy a wideglide instead of my lowrider. One test drove with the forwards ended that for me. First, forwards are not good for my back. Second I feel much more stable with Mids. I have highway pegs for an occasional stretch. For me the mids are the only option.

Quick Reply: Help guys - forward/mid controls