Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide with Fat Bob Trees

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Young953
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have or know of a set of fat bob trees for sale? I'm lookin at doing the same thing but can't find a used set

Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just get the black ones online (-20%) from HD, by the time you buy a used set for $125ish, pay shipping, powder coat them..........you might as well have bought new.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 AM
LiveToRideMyWideGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey MayhemLOCMC where did you end up ordering your fork tubes and spacers?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:07 PM
torpidrabbit
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tube size?

Would anyone have any info on the size of the fat bob fork tubes in order to do this conversion? if so do I also need to get new springs or can i use the stock ones off my wide glide?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:45 AM
simms346
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this is a really old thread but is this southeast customs og ness modified fairing and if so how hard was it to get it mounted on the wide glide front end ? thank you

Old 10-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by NC-WG2011
Just had some work done over at Southeast Custom Cycles again. I wanted my bike to handle better and Ric and I came up with this. Fat bob trees to lose 2* of rake and fat bob fork tubes to shorten up the wheel base. Also had the forward controls converted to mids to help with the handling even more. Sent the the front end out for powder coat and added a new lepera seat. It feels like riding a completely different bike. Handles so much better now. The bike is going back in a couple weeks for a Woods 6 cams. Here are a couple pics.

http://http://]http://http://]http://
I have been reading the reviews of the new FXDR. It sounds like they are saying it handles better than the new fat bob. What got me was it actually has a hair longer wheel base than the newer wide glides. Then I started looking for this old post . Nc, if you see this couple questions. If one was to go with the fat bob zero raked trees and used the longer wide glide tubes would it defeat the purpose of gaining better handling. And with the decrease in trail, how is the high speed stability? I thought the extra 2 degrees in the tree’s was to increase trail for stability. Or is it just to enhance the chopper look? Yes I know this is an old post. One more thing would longer rear shocks and using the wide glide tubes with the fat bob trees even up the geometry of the ride height and end up with increase in lean angle ? Any input would be appreciated!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:16 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
I have been reading the reviews of the new FXDR. It sounds like they are saying it handles better than the new fat bob. What got me was it actually has a hair longer wheel base than the newer wide glides. Then I started looking for this old post . Nc, if you see this couple questions. If one was to go with the fat bob zero raked trees and used the longer wide glide tubes would it defeat the purpose of gaining better handling. And with the decrease in trail, how is the high speed stability? I thought the extra 2 degrees in the tree’s was to increase trail for stability. Or is it just to enhance the chopper look? Yes I know this is an old post. One more thing would longer rear shocks and using the wide glide tubes with the fat bob trees even up the geometry of the ride height and end up with increase in lean angle ? Any input would be appreciated!

Disclaimer: I haven't read this Thread/Posts

Info: Fat Bob Trees have a Negative Rake ... NOT 0°

Now the following might seem confusing, but you can confirm by looking for information on Rake and Trail ...

INCREASED Rake in Neck Angle = INCREASED Trail
INCREASED Rake in Trees = DECREASED Trail

BTW ... ALSO Vice Versa

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDITED to add the Vice Versa (may help )

DECREASED Rake in Neck Angle = DECREASED Trail
DECREASED Rake in Trees = INCREASED Trail

Last edited by multihdrdr; 10-13-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Much abliged, that’s why my question started with I thought and not I know. I understand how rake and trail is measured I got my increase and decrease mixed up Apparently. Now back to my question . Will putting fat bob ( negative rake ) trees on a wide glide with 34 degree neck angle be problematic at high speeds !

Old 10-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Maybe I should have kept it simple. Is there any downside to this mode and how much better will the bike handle?

Old 10-13-2018, 05:16 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

No problems with high speed handling, I've been running this mod for about 3 years and have found no reason to change it. (Fat Bob trees, wg tubes and fat Bob sliders-Got to change out that fender though)

Last edited by joe40x; 10-13-2018 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Durham man (10-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Wide Glide with Fat Bob Trees