Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Dyna Fat Bob Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM
TheDrNailsGuy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Dyna Fat Bob Oil Change

Hi everyone. I bought my Fat Bob used and it didn't come with an owners manual. I feel I've done an extensive search yet I still have questions about doing an oil change on my 08 Fat Bob. The videos on Youtube seem to skip the primary oil as well as not mention how much oil is used. I know where all the fill holes and drain plugs are...So my question.

When doing an oil change, is it required to change the primary as well? I mean, is this usually how it's done or are they done at seperate intervals? All mention of oil changes and primary seem seperate.

Also, am I correct that it's 3qts in crank and 1qt in primary?

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, and I am planning on getting a service manual asap so no need to suggest it. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil change is listed at 1000, 5000, and every 5000 thereafter. The Primary is every 10,000, so it isn't necessary to do both at the same time.
These are guidelines, and many follow what they feel is best for their bike (more frequent can't hurt, less often with Synthetic, yearly, etc).

As far a the capacities, the primary is about right at 1 qt.
The "wet" fill on the crankcase is more like 2.5 qts! Start with 2 then add as needed. I doesn't matter how you try, you won't get it all out, so 3 will overfill

Old 05-27-2012, 03:12 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Yes don't forget to put some oil in the new filter. It's not like a car. Make sure your bike is level when you fill the primary. Also it depends what oil you use for interval. I use regular 20-50 and change every 2000-2500 because I am **** about it

Old 05-27-2012, 03:19 PM
hellbob37
Road Master

I have the digital temp gauge in my motor oil fill, did a jagg oil cooler install and first service at the same time. The digital dipstick says "hi oil". Should I syphon a few oz's out?

Old 05-27-2012, 03:55 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

You'll need a little less than a quart for the primary, use a flashlight and stop filling when the oil touches the bottom of the clutch assembly. I found a flexable, squishy plastic funnel for 2 or 3 dollars at autozone to be helpful for this job.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I ussually do primary at the same time but you do not have to. I change mine on the jiffy stand and it should take about 2.5 quarts oil. and I prime the filter with a little oil

Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM
TheDrNailsGuy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by coop creek
You'll need a little less than a quart for the primary, use a flashlight and stop filling when the oil touches the bottom of the clutch assembly. I found a flexable, squishy plastic funnel for 2 or 3 dollars at autozone to be helpful for this job.
when the oil touches the bottom of the clutch assembly when level or on stand?

Old 05-27-2012, 06:59 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What puffdaddy said + the tranny oil whenever you change the primary. tranny and primary take 1 quart each. Don't be surprised if your primary oil is gray especially if it has been ridden hard. tranny oil should come out as clean as the day it went in. Do yourself a huge favor and get the HD manual for your year/bike.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

Fill the primary with the bike straight upright, stop filling when the oil hits the bottom of the clutch "basket" or shell.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

here's a picture of what it looks like inside the primary chain case. The green line represents where the bottom of the derby cover opening would be and the red line is where the oil level goes to. The bike is on a stand in the air and the bike isn't level, I think it would probably be better to fill while both wheels are on the ground.

Attached Thumbnails 08 Dyna Fat Bob Oil Change-primary-chain-case-001-medium-with-red-line.jpg  

Quick Reply: 08 Dyna Fat Bob Oil Change