Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to adjust belt tension and align wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM
dynaride07
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to adjust belt tension and align wheel???

Hey guys.
I just installed the 180 tire kit on my dyna.I am now at the point were I have to adjust my belt tension and align my rear wheel wheel. How and what is the best way of doing this?
Thanks guy.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Best investment for you is a manual to go with that bike, Instructs would be long to type out and I already have blisters on my typing finger! Welcome to the forums!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:45 AM
streetleon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously you can put the 180 kit on but you dont know how to tighten your belt. you slow or something?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 AM
hellbob37
Road Master

The owners manual will tell him to get a 1/4" piece of welding rod and fit an o ring onto it to check alignment using the holes drilled into the swing arm and inside circumference of the axle. Yes, this is the owners manual these clowns swear by, with it's 22-65 lb ft tq values and all. Lmao.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbob37
The owners manual will tell him to get a 1/4" piece of welding rod and fit an o ring onto it to check alignment using the holes drilled into the swing arm and inside circumference of the axle. Yes, this is the owners manual these clowns swear by, with it's 22-65 lb ft tq values and all. Lmao.
1/8th of an inch welding rod bent like an allen wrench, you put the short end into the hole at rear of the swing arm and place the tiny o-ring on the rod dead center of the mark on the swing arm and then take your welding rod to the other side and make sure it lands dead center there. Belt must have approx 1/4" to 3/8" of flex - no slack just flex. If memory serves that about covers it. Torque the bolts like a german virgin "good 'n' tight", check flex and alignment after tightening.

There I got a band aid for my finger!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Apparently you have never actually read the SERVICE MANUAL instead of the owners manual.
There is more than a couple pages of explicit instructions in the SERVICE MANUAL on proper alignment and belt tension. Even gives pretty pictures to make it real easy.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 AM
hellbob37
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Apparently you have never actually read the SERVICE MANUAL instead of the owners manual.
There is more than a couple pages of explicit instructions in the SERVICE MANUAL on proper alignment and belt tension. Even gives pretty pictures to make it real easy.
Pardon me for the improper verbiage. Same thing. See, you're one of the people I was speaking of. You purchase a $13,000 plus motorcycle and they cant even put a guide on the adjusting blocks/swing arm. No, they tell you to use WELDING rod and give you tq values that range 40 lb ft. I'm just saying this service manual bible is not all its cracked up to be.

Again, forgive me lord of the SERVICE manual for my negligent use of verbiage

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Pardon me for the improper verbiage. Same thing. See, you're one of the people I was speaking of. You purchase a $13,000 plus motorcycle and they cant even put a guide on the adjusting blocks/swing arm. No, they tell you to use WELDING rod and give you tq values that range 40 lb ft. I'm just saying this service manual bible is not all its cracked up to be.

Again, forgive me lord of the SERVICE manual for my negligent use of verbiage
Dude, you have no idea who I am, so STFU with your stupid generalizations.

Is there something wrong with using a piece of welding rod to make a tool?

I don't know what you are reading but this does not look like a 40 lb ft range to me: Tighten axle nut (2) to 60 ft-lbs (81.3 Nm).

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM
hellbob37
Road Master

I don't know what you are reading but this does not look like a 40 lb ft range to me: Tighten axle nut (2) to 60 ft-lbs (81.3 Nm).
What does knowing who you are have to do with you jumping down my throat about using the word OWNERS instead of SERVICE, and me defending my point . Look at some of the other values. You'll see the range I'm talking about. there's nothing wrong with a primitive tool that works fine, it's just that with the money we all paid for our bikes you'd think the moco would get with the times and put a gauge on the swing arm like the rest of the industry.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously? Owners....service....everyone got the point. You really felt the need to make that a huge issue?

Keyboard cowboy....

Quick Reply: how to adjust belt tension and align wheel???