Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner primary service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner primary service bulletin

Yeah Mud, the inner primary is toast. It's just starting. Looks like the classic lube starvation scarring. Lock ring was positioned properly, so that rules that out as cause of damage. I'd take a picture of the damage, but both my digital cameras are pissing me off this morning, and I need to get to work. I'm wasting daylight screwing around with this thing.

Service bulletin. I tried the search, no luck.

Does anybody here have a copy of the service bulletin on the inner primary troubles??? Or a link to it?? I'm fixing to take this bearing to the dealer, and try and get them to give me one under warranty, and you know they are going to say, "bearing failure?? what bearing failure?? we ain't heard about no bearing failure."

Old 01-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Default RE: Inner primary service bulletin

The wife was kind enough to show me what setting to use on the camera. (Actually I think she was just afraid I was about to throw her camera out the window.)

Anyway, here it is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15138/0511D2DD16954254A045CDFB35308EFD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

That's nasty. I guess it's an 06 Dyna as I remember hearing about this issue... your dealer would even think of doing that with you doing your own work?

I don't have a copy, but you may find it here... tons of info

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/

Old 01-14-2007, 11:52 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your owners manual. There was an addendum to the manuals that the MoCo sent out which specified the replacement of that bearing at 15,000 miles at the expense of HD. The MoCo than sent out a letter stating that repair was no linger necessary. How many miles do you have? What type of oil are you using? That is an INA bearing and at the least HD should give you a new one for free. Was there any other damage from debris?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:01 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I found my letter from the MoCo which is from Steve Phillips, VP Quality and Customer care which specifies a lubricant change for the primary and transmission at 1,000 and every 5000 miles plus replacement of the inner primary bearing at 15000 intervals. This replacement will be done by HD at no cost. If you PM me your fax number or address I can make a copy and fax it ormail it to you tomorrow when I get to work. KB

Old 01-14-2007, 12:04 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im kinda courious about this issue especially since I have an 06 Dyna myself. Since the 07 Touring models are now similar to the 06 Dynas, are people having the same problems with them? I'm wandering if H-D upgraded the bearing in all the new 07 models or will be seeing the same type of problems with the 07 models as well? I'm planning on ordering me a new 07 Road King in the next few weeks,but not if they potentionally will have the same bearing problems as the 06 Dynas.

John

Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I think they put a higher capacity bearing in the 07 trans. I'm sure that INA has to eat at least 1/2 the warranty on the 06 returns so they would have spec'ed a better component. But I am still using synthetic lube in the primary & trans and following the original 5000 mile oil change suggestion even though they sent another letter out stating 15000 was ok. I think they just have X number of units out there that will fail so they probably figure to just fix those and move on. The guys who didn't get a bad bearing won't show up for a fix. Much cheaper than a recall.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remember reading about this here on the board some time ago. seems the early '06s had the problem and the later was supposed to be fixed. I have a late production '06 (May) that did not have the addendum included in the owners manual. have about 3000 miles with no problems. changed trans oil at 500 and 1000. now running Redline shockproof.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/D9B22CBD7DA7410B8117A857A10D23B9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the dealer mount a tire for me and I asked them about the primary bearings going bad.

I did get the "I know nothin" response!

Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Gents,

What are the signs of a failing bearing?

Whiff

Quick Reply: Inner primary service bulletin