Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
RogerDC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob Headlight

Ok I finally decided that I need to replace the headlights on my fat bob to a single to accommodate a cowling or a windshield. The options are too limited with the dual lights and I feel like I'm fighting for my life at 80 on the freeway because the buffeting is so bad. Question is, which light is best? Please give me some ideas. I saw a 7" that looked like it came from an older fat boy that I liked, but am open to suggestions. Also I ride a lot at night so I need something that kicks *** in the actual "lighting things up" department. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Fat Boy light, mine came straight off an 07 Fat Boy but any 7" will work, they basically all look the same. Buy that and get the plastic headlight insert that uses an H4 halogen bulb on eBay for about $25 and you are set. Lights the road every bit as good as the stock dual light and the stock mounting block kind of sets the light forward a bit too so fitting to the windshield might even be easier for you.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

7" fatboy-ish light bucket with Sylvania UltraSilver Star installed.... plenty of light.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 AM
RogerDC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lorance66
I use a Fat Boy light, mine came straight off an 07 Fat Boy but any 7" will work, they basically all look the same. Buy that and get the plastic headlight insert that uses an H4 halogen bulb on eBay for about $25 and you are set. Lights the road every bit as good as the stock dual light and the stock mounting block kind of sets the light forward a bit too so fitting to the windshield might even be easier for you.
Thanks again...and again, really like the tank lift. Any thoughts on the VH 2-2 vs the 2-1?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand about fitting a windshield or mini fairing around that headlight. I like the dual headlight though. I think it'd look badass w/a mini fairing.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

Originally Posted by RogerDC
Thanks again...and again, really like the tank lift. Any thoughts on the VH 2-2 vs the 2-1?
I don't have any personal observations to make other than the 2-1 is equally badass in the looks department, just different. When I bought my 2-2's I had not yet heard a 2-1 so who knows, I think I could have been easily swayed. I will say this however, after running BCT baffles for the past 6-8 months I would have gotten them from the start. No way I am ever putting the stock baffles back in, so if you are putting a price together in your head I would add $89 or whatever they cost to the estimate, you are gonna want those.

On the 2-1, I think that pipe sounds awesome stock...but I would be interested if BCT makes a baffle for it.

Oh, and everyone should have a tank lift! That was the cheapest, coolest mod I have done yet and thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

oh yeah, and like Archer said, those Silverstars are badass. I do not have one but I suppose I will be getting one come replacement time. They are big time brighter.

Oh, and I should add one thing. I just replaced my rear shocks with 11" shocks (1" shorter) so obviously it changed the stance a bit which aimed my headlight a bit higher. In my opinion it is perfect now, I should have had it aimed higher all along.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM
FullThrottle415
Advanced

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I understand about fitting a windshield or mini fairing around that headlight. I like the dual headlight though. I think it'd look badass w/a mini fairing.
j, I've looked into this pretty extensively. I think the only way is to chop up a Ness or take one from a metric and hack it up as well. If Ness made a 1/4 for the fatbob, I'd buy in a second....I messed around with some pics a while back and got a rough idea of what it'd look like.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob Headlight-fxdf-one-quarter-fairing.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
NWMT
3rd Gear
Default Change the headlight?

See i think the dual bob headlights are what sets them apart on the road, I like the look of the single as more of a classic look, but the bike has a lot going for it my opinion and the headlights add a little more charicter. If you are looking into just putting a new headlight on in order to accomidate a windshield, (you may or may not know) they have a full size windshield cut for the Fatbob dual headlight assembly avail through HD. I have found some on ebay as well. But they look good and i just took a 3500 mile ride in August with it and it works great. Perfect size and quick detach system is great. I dont like to ride with a wind shield, but when your doing a long trip it helps so your not doing pullups with wind resistance the whole time. So i figured I would get the best one i could find, if im gonna put one on, it may as well do what it needs to.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Pm sent

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Headlight