Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salt damage with my new Dyna Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
cee_Kamp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt damage with my new Dyna Super Glide Custom

New member here, this is my second post.
I bought a new 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom in June.
On my way to work with the new bike about 2 weeks after delivery, I rode through a construction zone. (about 730 miles on the odometer then)
Very few other available route options...
This was pre-dawn, I was in it before I realized what had happened.
They had watered down about a third of a mile section of dirt and the road was quite muddy as they had removed one lane of concrete.
I figured no big deal, I'll just clean off the mud when I get home.
What I didn't know then was they had just laid down a strong dose of calcium chloride (road salt) for dust control and drawing the water out of the compacted dirt and gravel.
When I washed the bike a day later, I realized that there was severe cosmetic damage.
I had the bike at the dealership for it's thousand mile first service a few days later and had them do an estimate for the cosmetic damage.
The cosmetic damage estimate turned out to be in excess of $9100.00
The estimate also has a disclaimer that other cosmetic damage may be noticed during the repairs, and in the future.
I contacted the construction company (a private company, not affiliated with the state) and turned in the estimate to their insurance carrier.
I also contacted the NYS DOT engineer-in-charge at the job site, he confirmed the usage of calcium chloride on the job site.
There were no signs posted concerning the calcium chloride usage.
There were no signs posted stating the road construction site was a limited liability area.
The estimate has these parts listed: Cylinders with pistons, cylinder heads, rocker boxes, rocker box covers, both wire spoke wheels, front brake rotor, front caliper, an assortment of nuts, bolts, & hardware, primary cover, battery cover trim, rear brake pedal, saddle bag stand-offs, both rear shocks with springs, jiffy stand and spring, foot pegs, forward pegs and brackets, shift linkage, horn cover and a pretty good assortment of other parts and pieces.
I'm quite unhappy!
So I've been in contact with the insurance claims dept. and the insurance adjuster is calling and e-mailing so he can come and inspect the bike.
Should I let them fix the bike?
Or should I tell them to "pound salt"? Buy me a new one...
The bike was less than two weeks old from the date of delivery.
It should look as good now as the day it was delivered, but I'm not really very good with the idea of a two week old bike needing such a massive amount of repairs.
There is really something about a factory built machine, instead of one that has been spread across two or three work benches at the dealership.
My initial reaction is that a new bike is in order here, and they are paying!
I told the NYS DOT engineer the insurance company was only going to get one chance at correcting this issue. After that I'm taking out some newspaper advertisements in three local newspapers in the "Classic Car" and "Motorcycle" sections and the ad will say something like this: Has your classic car or motorcycle been damaged in the blank blank (location not specified here on the forum) construction site? They are using ROAD SALT FOR DUST CONTROL! Contact these people for making a claim. (the construction company and the insurance company)
I've also got a quotation for a roadside billboard with a similar message.
The road under construction is a fairly busy artery, there are plenty of nice summer only cars and motorcycles using this route.
If the insurance company screws me around, I think I can bury them in claims from pissed off summer only vehicle owners.
I have spoken with my attorney, he advised doing the insurance claim process first before taking any legal action.
When asked about the newspaper ad's and roadside billboard, he smiled and said all you are doing is spreading the good word... (he is a bike rider)
What do the Forum Members have to say?

cee_Kamp

Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Simple Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand your anger but are you sure you want opinions? You sound hell-bent on getting a new motorcycle. I don't think anyone is going to change your mind.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,734 Likes on 2,058 Posts

mighta shoulda cleaned it right away..........
Originally Posted by cee_Kamp
New member here, this is my second post.
I bought a new 2012 Dyna Super Glide Custom in June.
On my way to work with the new bike about 2 weeks after delivery, I rode through a construction zone. (about 730 miles on the odometer then)
Very few other available route options...
This was pre-dawn, I was in it before I realized what had happened.
They had watered down about a third of a mile section of dirt and the road was quite muddy as they had removed one lane of concrete.
I figured no big deal, I'll just clean off the mud when I get home.
What I didn't know then was they had just laid down a strong dose of calcium chloride (road salt) for dust control and drawing the water out of the compacted dirt and gravel.
When I washed the bike a day later, I realized that there was severe cosmetic damage.
I had the bike at the dealership for it's thousand mile first service a few days later and had them do an estimate for the cosmetic damage.
The cosmetic damage estimate turned out to be in excess of $9100.00
The estimate also has a disclaimer that other cosmetic damage may be noticed during the repairs, and in the future.
I contacted the construction company (a private company, not affiliated with the state) and turned in the estimate to their insurance carrier.
I also contacted the NYS DOT engineer-in-charge at the job site, he confirmed the usage of calcium chloride on the job site.
There were no signs posted concerning the calcium chloride usage.
There were no signs posted stating the road construction site was a limited liability area.
The estimate has these parts listed: Cylinders with pistons, cylinder heads, rocker boxes, rocker box covers, both wire spoke wheels, front brake rotor, front caliper, an assortment of nuts, bolts, & hardware, primary cover, battery cover trim, rear brake pedal, saddle bag stand-offs, both rear shocks with springs, jiffy stand and spring, foot pegs, forward pegs and brackets, shift linkage, horn cover and a pretty good assortment of other parts and pieces.
I'm quite unhappy!
So I've been in contact with the insurance claims dept. and the insurance adjuster is calling and e-mailing so he can come and inspect the bike.
Should I let them fix the bike?
Or should I tell them to "pound salt"? Buy me a new one...
The bike was less than two weeks old from the date of delivery.
It should look as good now as the day it was delivered, but I'm not really very good with the idea of a two week old bike needing such a massive amount of repairs.
There is really something about a factory built machine, instead of one that has been spread across two or three work benches at the dealership.
My initial reaction is that a new bike is in order here, and they are paying!
I told the NYS DOT engineer the insurance company was only going to get one chance at correcting this issue. After that I'm taking out some newspaper advertisements in three local newspapers in the "Classic Car" and "Motorcycle" sections and the ad will say something like this: Has your classic car or motorcycle been damaged in the blank blank (location not specified here on the forum) construction site? They are using ROAD SALT FOR DUST CONTROL! Contact these people for making a claim. (the construction company and the insurance company)
I've also got a quotation for a roadside billboard with a similar message.
The road under construction is a fairly busy artery, there are plenty of nice summer only cars and motorcycles using this route.
If the insurance company screws me around, I think I can bury them in claims from pissed off summer only vehicle owners.
I have spoken with my attorney, he advised doing the insurance claim process first before taking any legal action.
When asked about the newspaper ad's and roadside billboard, he smiled and said all you are doing is spreading the good word... (he is a bike rider)
What do the Forum Members have to say?

cee_Kamp

Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the bike is only 2 weeks old I would tell them you want a new bike! Not sure if it'll work out but I know damn well if it happened to me i'd want a new one compared to one that needed a bunch of repairs. I know it'll probably look new when it's done but i'm sure there's something like a car fax for bikes that it would show up on after going through insurance.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. That sucks. I would want a new bike too. If you get it fixed, make sure you get back all the replaced parts and sell them. Probably make a couple thousand bucks.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

BS. I used calcium chloride for 20 years on roads. It is not road salt. Road salt is sodium chloride in the form of rock salt.

Calcium chloride and sodium chloride wash off very easy. It takes a long time for it to impact bare metal let alone painted/coated surfaces that you find on vehicles.

Calcium chloride is very expensive and is used as a wetting agent on gravel roads to keep dust down as it absorbs moisture from the air. In the winter it is generally in liquid form and is sprayed onto the road ahead of a storm to prevent the snow and ice from sticking to the road. It is also used when there is below zero weather as it works at a much lower temp than rock salt.

It has been used in the snow belt states for many decades. There is no precedent to warn motorist of the use of regular salt or calcium chloride in any jurisdiction that I am aware of. Again it readily dissolves with water. I just is not possible to go through the clear coat on the aluminum parts or the painted parts within 24 hours.

I just have not ever witnessed the type and extent of damage that you say even on the equipment/trucks used to apply it.

Show us the pictures.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-11-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:53 AM
sLvRsTrEEtBoB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If any of this is true, you made a consious decision to ride down a questionable road, and delay cleaning the grime off the bike. I think your idea of cosmetic damage was just grime you didnt wash off....no offense

Old 07-11-2012, 02:14 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Agree with previous poster. No way 1 day of leaving road salt on bike corrodes it to the point of $9k of damages. Post some pictures. Or maybe you better not if your seriously trying to sue for damages.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 AM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
BS. I used calcium chloride for 20 years on roads. It is not road salt. Road salt is sodium chloride in the form of rock salt.

Calcium chloride and sodium chloride wash off very easy. It takes a long time for it to impact bare metal let alone painted/coated surfaces that you find on vehicles.

Calcium chloride is very expensive and is used as a wetting agent on gravel roads to keep dust down as it absorbs moisture from the air. In the winter it is generally in liquid form and is sprayed onto the road ahead of a storm to prevent the snow and ice from sticking to the road. It is also used when there is below zero weather as it works at a much lower temp than rock salt.

It has been used in the snow belt states for many decades. There is no precedent to warn motorist of the use of regular salt or calcium chloride in any jurisdiction that I am aware of. Again it readily dissolves with water. I just is not possible to go through the clear coat on the aluminum parts or the painted parts within 24 hours.

I just have not ever witnessed the type and extent of damage that you say even on the equipment/trucks used to apply it.

Show us the pictures.
The state of Ct started using it in the winter, many newer cars are showing premature signs of age.

And the State trucks that apply it are having serious brakeline replacement issues......yeah good stuff, eh?

To the OP....I'd want a new one also if the damage was that extensive.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You made a decision to ride down said street. You also made (or not) a decision to not clean the crap off your bike..........

You want someone else to repair or replace your bike?
You want to hold someone else accountable for your own actions?

Good Luck...

Quick Reply: Salt damage with my new Dyna Super Glide Custom