Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slide triple tree down on forks ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:12 PM
CobraEd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slide triple tree down on forks ???

I don't like the way my dyna sits higher in the front. I like the level look like a Road King. I always figured I would need lowering springs. But, . . I was just looking at the bike and noticed that the triple tree just clamps onto the forks and I can easily loosen it and slide it down an inch or so. This seems so easy. Am I missing something here? Is this a no-no ??? pic of bike attached:

Attached Thumbnails slide triple tree down on forks ???-dscn0001.jpg  

Last edited by CobraEd; 07-21-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:51 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it is that simple. I don't know about sliding the tree down but you can slide the tubes up.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be careful. It may greatly affect the handling of the bike. Turning will become much quicker and more responsive. Let us know how it turns out

Old 07-21-2012, 01:44 PM
CobraEd
Tourer

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
I'd be careful. It may greatly affect the handling of the bike. Turning will become much quicker and more responsive. Let us know how it turns out

Crap, . . now you've got me worried. J&P Cycles sells tons of aftermarket forks and lowering springs with no warnings. Do custom bike builders factor this in? What would OCC say :-) I only want to drop it about an inch to help make the bike more level.

I can always just move it back. I will change it and test the hell out of it before a final decision.

Any other thoughts on this are welcome.

Last edited by CobraEd; 07-21-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:18 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

do it up, no worries. i dropped mine like this with no issues other than it looking a lot better. people say it messes with the geometry but come on its a harley, not an indy car or moto gp bike. whens the last time you kept track of your lap times on your bike?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will change the steering geometry a bit but only for the better.Plenty of people have dropped the front end like this with no ill effects.It looks a little ghetto which is why many end up going with a drop in lowering kit but unlike the kit it's easily reversible and won't reduce suspension travel.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:36 PM
CobraEd
Tourer

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
It looks a little ghetto which is why many end up going with a drop in lowering kit but unlike the kit it's easily reversible and won't reduce suspension travel.

Why would it look a little "ghetto"? I would think than 99% of the people could not tell the difference between lowering the trees on the tubes or putting in shorter tubes/springs.

Last edited by CobraEd; 07-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraEd
Why would it look a little "ghetto"? I would think than 99% of the people could not tell the difference between lowering the trees on the tubes or putting in shorter tubes/springs.

It will look "ghetto" because more of the fork tubes will be poking out the top of the trees. Also, if you have a newer Street Bob with the integrated risers, you will be limited in how far you can push the fork tubes up through the trees because they already come close to hitting the bottom of the bars, stock.

Also, it may be your wording, but you are not lowering the trees or moving them in any way. You will be sliding the tubes up in the trees further, thus lowering your bike in the process.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:05 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Just do a little at a time, then have someone sit on the bike so you can check it's attitude whilst loaded down a bit. You will definatley know you have gone too far when that exspensive front fender slams into your engine guards during your first panic stop or deep pothole (not that it has ever happened to me!).

Old 07-21-2012, 08:47 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

yeah what was harley thinking when they designed the upper tree with the integrated riser, thats just moronic! really?

Quick Reply: slide triple tree down on forks ???