Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 street bob IPB and stator problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Gatone13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 street bob IPB and stator problem??

So i sold my 2012 sporty and picked up a 2006 Street bob about a month ago. Nothing against previous owner(s), but I don't trust anyone when it comes to maintenance and upkeep on a vehicle especially when I have already had to fix some major negligence on the bike already. Upon doing some research I noticed tons of complaints from 06 street bob owners regarding 2 problems. The IPB and stator bolts fraging their primary. First thing I did was went out and bought a baker high torque bearing to replace the Crap stock one.

Now my question is... Since the bike is 6 years old now, will the dealership give me any break on fixing these known problems like they have done in the past? Or because the bike is out of warranty will I have to flip the bill.

The bike is just around the corner from 10k miles which seems to be when all these problems manifest themselves... Is there a way I can check if these problems have already been fixed before paying to have someone tear into the primary?

I'm on a budget, so if possible I would like to tackle this myself if I need too, rather than paying stealership to do it. I have a manual and I would like to think I'm half way decent when it comes to mechanics, How difficult is replacing the IPB? Same with welding the stator bolts? If I take the outer primary cover off will that be enough to get to the bolts to weld them up or am I going to have to dig deeper?

Really not sure which way to go with this, any help would be much appreciated. Did plenty of searches already but all the post were from around 2009 (bike still under warranty)

Like I said I'm really hoping the previous owners did their research and had this takin care of, but I'm not a very optimistic person

Thanks guys

Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 AM
jashs9
Intermediate

I'm getting nervous now, I gotta 06 SB just hit 11,500 miles. I had no idea about these problems, looks like I'll be tearing into mine within the next few weeks to have a look.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There is plenty of info here and on the Internet about these issues. Bottom line in my opinion is to do the Baker bearing and weld the stator bolts. You should be able to get all the parts that you need for less than $100. Replacing the IPB is really simple. While you are in there you may also want to replace then chain tensioner guide, also an updated part available for that and not terribly expensive. I do have an '06 rotor and stator that came out of mine and is in good shape. If you are interested in it so you can have it welded before you tear into it let me know and we can work something out. That is what I did when I repaired mine. I got my rotor welded and ready so my down time was only a few hours.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't panic, my IPB didn't even start acting up till around 20,000 mi. Then all it did was make allot of noise at idle that sounded like a diesel truck.When we pulled the bearing it looked a little rough but not like it was about to explode or anything.The stator bolts were all still tight I didn't even think to have them welded my mechanic just made sure they were torqued to spec and put it back together. If I remember correctly my mechanic said it's about a 50 dollar part that costs about 200 in labor to replace or something like that.I had a 30 tooth pulley put in while it was apart so I don't remember the exact amount .

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 07-23-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

I had my transmission cases and inner primary replaced by HD for free out of warranty. If you find a good dealer, they know this is a serious problem, and will most likely help you, but it will take some time before they pull the trigger on it. Keep at them about it but don't be hard on them. If you're IPB is making noise while the bike is running and in neutral, and goes away when you pull the clutch, then it's starting. replacing the stock bearing only lasted 2,500 miles for me, and it was at it again. I can't speak to the baker bearing, because I never put one in, but a lot of guys swear by it. Biggest thing is - don't freak out. It'll get fixed and ride on.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly in 2006 the cases made before May were not dowled and those were the ones having the problems and HD fixed them for free. Check when your bike was made and take it from there. Like the above poster said this topic is all over the forum. Do a search and I think you can find the HD Service Notice on this subject with MANY posters opinions. If its not making noise IMO I would just enjoy the bike. GL...

Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Its an easy fix, id open it up before it grenades...

Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 PM
jashs9
Intermediate

I bought this bike used from harley, stock but used with 9K miles on it. Any chance the dealership took care of this.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jashs9
i bought this bike used from harley, stock but used with 9k miles on it. Any chance the dealership took care of this.
i wouldnt think so, that would have cut into there profit margin

Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Gatone13
Cruiser

Sooo do you guys think I should take a trip down to dealer to see if there is anything they can do, or because the fact its out of warranty don't waste my time?

Quick Reply: 06 street bob IPB and stator problem??