Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twisted 12mm Spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's what nightrider.com (the makers of Xieds) think to plug leads. Scroll to the "Claims of Horsepower Gain" section.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/truth.htm

The bottom line is that plug wires do not add HP. However, if you have a fault with your old ones and they are breaking down then you can be losing power. Fitting some new ones will restore this lost power but it won't matter if the new ones are stock ones or foot thick ones that cost $/£1000.

Its like spark plugs. There's an awful lot of money to be made from them and an awful lot of bullshit claims about them. Bottom line though is that the leads are a bit of insulated wire and plugs are an insulated bit of wire and an air gap to ground. If the stock ones are not faulty then they are working as good as any will.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Foxster. The article provided has succeded in expanding my knoledge on this system. The author seems to know what he is writing about ( atleast to a layman ). Even though he could improve his writing skills. I think that there is always room for improveing OE systems though. Certainly manufacturers can't afford to use the best of every component available and still be cost competative. Aggread that the OE systems are adiquit enough to to the job. And, aggread that improving these systems will have little bearing on Horse Power gains and such. But every improvement on individual systems makes an improvement on the overall system. So the real bottom line is: where do you want to spend your money.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 PM
MrDickArmstrong
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny, twisted spark plugs just arrived the over day. Plugged in and notice nothing's changed on performance. they look good though.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM
denimbob08
Cruiser

i know they look sick but i cant see spending 60 bucks for a foot of green wire between the two of them.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by machinistmate
Unless you use ACCEL plug wires that throw check engine codes for no good reason. I asked about Twisted's a while back, and I had to cringe at the fact that I was gonna miss out on 50% more HP & TQ, I went with the Orange SE. I suppose if I had got them, I wouldn't have to get a Big Bore kit.
You need to buy the "correct" Accel wires. They do make two different models. I'm running a blue wire set specific for use on these bikes, on my FXDC for over 30k miles now. The reason you need to be careful, is because the anti-knock system on the Delphi EFI bikes is based on an ionization measurement. The system actually measures the resistance of the air gap of the spark plug... if there is pre-ignition, the flame front changes the resistance of that air gap.. the system will retard the timing to compensate. If your new cool wires are just a tiny bit different in resistance, the system will throw codes and the anti-knock system will not work.

I bought them for looks only, because for all the other components you have, you are not going to see any gains from different wires... unless you change the coil and plugs as well... and they just don't make that high end of replacement stuff for those components.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I use the 8.8 mm Drag Specialties wires with new stock plugs.
no codes and runs great.
Price is OK.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-8mm-SPARK-...ht_2667wt_1344

Last edited by stilup; 07-29-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
FlatBlack12Bobber
Cruiser

well I got them and the look insane, even if they do nothing in terms of HP gains, the visual change to that side of the bike is worth $60 to me!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 PM
r12b1299
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a an old Post.

But I have a 91 FXLR Screaming Eagle everything including the Ignition, Coil and Wires. The Bike is a horse, it will kill a Crotch Rocket in a heart beat.

I bought the Twisted and the Power was amazing, it was very noticeable and that's an under statement.

I also run e3 Spark Plugs.....the power Twisted delivered from the Coil and MPG was unbelievable.....!!

Well worth the money....!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have them on my bike... had red SE wires on the bike, had a buddy that wanted red and i wanted black so we swapped, only reason i have them. that said i do like the look and the bike runs well

Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

and above poster your 91 SE FX will not KILL a rocket... i have a GSXR 750 and 1000 and i can smash on buddys running 120r motors, 124 stroker motors and NOS... different kind of bikes man. that is flat out fact, look at HP to weight and lets be real... maybe the 500 and 600's you can play with, but bigger rockets, no way...

Quick Reply: Twisted 12mm Spark plug wires