Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Why a Dyna?

Hey guys

I've finally finished my Sportster and I'm casting my eye around for a second bike.

I've looked at specs etc but I'd like to hear from you, why should I consider a Dyna and which model should I consider?

With the sportster I ride aggressively (for a Harley). I lean into curves and I love accelerating quickly. I've lightened the bike up a lot as well. I'm not into chrome much so I've considered the Fat Bob (not a huge fan of the dual headlights) and the wide glide.

I'd probably set the bike up for some 2 up riding as well.

The Softails seem way to low I'd probably be scraping floorboards like mad.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 07-31-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Elemental13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill tell ya i have recently gone from a sportster 72 to a wide glide. and its alot more comfortable if you want to be more streched out and the 6th gear makes a world of difference on the highway. and as you mentioned it will be better for 2 up than your sportster. plus with the 6th gear at higher speeds you dont get that constant resination that you do with the 1200 in fifth its alot smoother thats my opinion on why i like mine better than the sportster. oh and just an fyi the wide glide has more of a rake and longer forks than the superglide and the frame is lower to the ground than the super just alittle extra for ya

Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM
ryda
Cruiser

New or used?

I like the Dyna because of the "A" motor and suspension.
I would say go Street Bob but not sure I like some of the features but good price.
The Fat Bob is one of the heaviest of the Dyna line.
The Wide Glide would probably be my choice if I was buying new today.

I have 07 St Bob.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elemental, I love where my sporty is right now. Just need to flow the heads, bigger throttle body and valves at the next service. She runs at much higher revs now and with the lower bars I can do much higher speeds. If I can get a second scoot I can remove more, the pass pegs for one must weigh a bit.

Ryda, I love the look of your ride and I'd probably do something similar. I hate the sausage taillight on the SB. Is there a difference between the SB engine and the FB/WG engine?

Wouldn't the fairings look out of place on the bigger rake on the WG?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I looked at a couple Softails and a couple Dynas. The Softails in my opinion are better looking, especially when modified, but I just liked the ride of the Dyna better. Especially after riding one with forward controls. It just fit me better, rode smoother, and handled better. Not to mention for the money I got a newer and lower mileage bike.

I've never actually ridden a Sportster so I can't really compare.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

go ride them you"ll see why

Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

the WG comes with a 103 the street bob and FXDC come with a 96. I have a 96 ci streetbob and its plenty of power for me. I can smoke my friends sportster and I just have a stage one. I would recommend an FXDC for you as it comes ready to do 2 up riding and it does not have the "vintage style taillight" that the street bob has but the FXDC has a lot of chrome. you can get a street bob set up for two up riding but you have to buy a 2 up seat and get passenger foot pegs put on. I have owned sportsters and dynas and in my opinion dynas are way better. More room to stretch out with mids and hwy pegs and you cant beat 6th gear at 80MPH on the hwy. I still get 42 MPG and I can ride at 80 all day long. I love my street bob . id look at all the dynas , ride each one and go from there. As far as the street bob tail light goes you can always get rid of it later on if you hate it that much.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:14 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Elemental, I love where my sporty is right now. Just need to flow the heads, bigger throttle body and valves at the next service. She runs at much higher revs now and with the lower bars I can do much higher speeds. If I can get a second scoot I can remove more, the pass pegs for one must weigh a bit.

Ryda, I love the look of your ride and I'd probably do something similar. I hate the sausage taillight on the SB. Is there a difference between the SB engine and the FB/WG engine?

Wouldn't the fairings look out of place on the bigger rake on the WG?
First off that is one BA looking Sporty!
I think the Fat Bob with a single headlight, quarter fairing, and a long fender will light your fire. The Fat Bob has the larger tank, the Drag Bars, Fat tires, and from the looks of your Sporty may blend with the looks you like with the addition of a longer rear fender and a 2-1 Bissani Road Rage pipe and maybe fully blacked out.

Now you asked why? Well despite the Dyna wobble, which is easily rectified with carefull set up and adjustments plus the addition of a True Track the bike just flat out handles and rides right.
Bob

Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM
103RATRIDE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2012 wide glide and im nt regreting it one bit, as mentioned before it feels really comfortable with forward controls as oppose to mids, especially since im 6'1" tall, the 103 motor is nice and is pretty snappy, the rake on the front emd makes it look mean and i see a lot more bobs out there than wide glides. I opted fpr the wide glide after having my heart set on the 2012 bob bcuz of the looks,controls,motor and really nice handling it has.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:38 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

from the looks of your bike id look at the street bob,superglide or maybe the fatbob ...id shy away from the wide glide....i wouldnt get the fat bob either unless you absolutely want dual disc front brakes but the u can put dual discs on a fxd,fxdc and fxdb with a little work

Quick Reply: Why a Dyna?