Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more wire to relocate my Front Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need more wire to relocate my Front Turn Signals

I would like to relocate my front turn signals lower on my fork tubes. Unfortunately, when my original bars were removed and the TS's were moved to my fork tubes, the local HD tech must have cut and shortened the turn signal wires. I pulled as much of the TS wires out of the neck of the frame until I reached the molex connector and I still need more wire to relocate to the desired location.

What is the easiest, safest and most reliable way to accomplish this. I have little experience with wiring, so please dumb it down for me.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Add a few inches of wires, solder and shrink wrap. Even you buy a new turn signal housing from Harley, the wire is cut.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
bucket13
Road Master

Originally Posted by 128auto
Add a few inches of wires, solder and shrink wrap. Even you buy a new turn signal housing from Harley, the wire is cut.
yeah, that's what I was thinking .... HD doesn't sell lengths of wire, only the molex connectors. I believe it might be 14 gauge? Can this be purchased at a Home Depot \ Lowes or should I look at an Autoparts store?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Elemental13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to an auto parts store and get a few different colors of wire to keep all your colors the same and if you dont have alot of wiring experience wiring soldiering might be alittle complicated so use heat shrink butt connectors if you dont feel comfortable with soldier and just do one wire at a time and dont mix any up and you will be golden then electrical tape over the wires and use some loom and boom you have extended wires. now one little trick to a better install is stagger your splice areas to keep the bundle a similiar size not a big bulge in one spot

Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 AM
bucket13
Road Master

Originally Posted by Elemental13
go to an auto parts store and get a few different colors of wire to keep all your colors the same and if you dont have alot of wiring experience wiring soldiering might be alittle complicated so use heat shrink butt connectors if you dont feel comfortable with soldier and just do one wire at a time and dont mix any up and you will be golden then electrical tape over the wires and use some loom and boom you have extended wires. now one little trick to a better install is stagger your splice areas to keep the bundle a similiar size not a big bulge in one spot
Thanks, this is great advice. I really appreciate it!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

This is the PERFECT project to learn how to solder on!

Search youtube for a couple of how-to videos and go for it. Any idiot can solder.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM
DutchBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another solution is the Namz extension kit:

http://www.directharleyparts.com/ele...1281_1288.html

Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard butt connectors make for a very crappy wiring harness...for a smoother (smaller), cleaner connection, use uninsulated butt connectors and some heatshrink insulation. Slide the heatshrink on your wire, crimp using the smallest gauge connector for your wire (I also solder them at this point), then slide the heatshrink over the connector and heat it up. I have repaired many hacked up wiring harnesses this way. And as one of the other posts mention...stagger your cuts so they are not all lined up together.

Last edited by DesertDyna; 08-20-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. Soldering makes the best connection and the neatest.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know if this is possible or not, but can't you just buy wire and the plugs and make a longer piece? Why would you have to solder/use connectors at all?

Nevermind, seem Namz does this for you, and it's cheap enough.

Quick Reply: Need more wire to relocate my Front Turn Signals