Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

P

Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Road Captain
Send a message via AIM to Jaystn62
Default High Idle Speed

I just tried to take my bike for a quick ride a few minutes ago. I stopped first to get a couple dollars gas just around the corner. When I started bike back up noticed it didn't want to idle down. Then check engine light came on. I waited a few seconds and light went out but was idling around 1400 rpm. I went ahead and took off decided to come back home. By the time I got home wouldn't go below 1740 rpm. I already have appointment for Tuesday to take bike in and have it looked at. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this on the newer Dynas or any of the newer Twincams.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Road Master

My Dyna twice has done just the opposite, idles so low it won't even run.

My Electra-Glide has the Fly-By-Wire throttle and the idle gets messed up at least twice on every cross country trip. The fix for that is to cycle the ignition on then off at least 4 times, ten seconds per cycle. This resets the idle by forcing the computer to forget what it has learned and start over.

It also seems to fix my 2008 Dvna idling problems.

2008 Ultra Classic, for when the wife wants to come along.

2008 Street Bob, retro-mod 1960 Duo-Glide, and yes that is a muffler on the left side also!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Hang Around

I had just the opposite problem also. New Super Glide Custom. Goes to normal fast idle when started, then went so low it quit. Only happened once, so I'm not too concerned at this point.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM

Mine did it also. The idle control motor attached to the intake got gummed up by oil coming out of the breather. Remove your air cleaner, with engine running, spray a little throttle body cleaner into the intake . This has fixed the problem twice for me
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Elite HDF Member

If the check engine light came on it means you threw a code. Check your codes, maybe you can figure it out before Tuesday.

07 FXDB
Thundermax, Ohlins, 30T, Big Sucker
Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Road Master

" I started bike back up noticed it didn't want to idle down " Once in awhile they do that it's normal .....

2006 Dyna Street Bob , RIDE SAFE !
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Senior Rider
Send a message via Yahoo to wtb3886

Try a search for DTC on here, there is a way to retrieve code faults that your computer has saved, then you will know what direction to take towards troubleshooting the real problem.
2009 Street Glide FLHX Red Hot Sunglo, Color Matched Vented Fairing Lowers, Adjustable Highway Peg Mounting Kit Long Angled, with Streamliner Foot Pegs, Road Zeppelin Air Adjustable Seat, Detachable Sissy Bar Backrests Standard Height, 4 Point Docking Hardware Kit, Detachable Two Up Luggage Rack, Streamliner Passenger Footboards and Mount Kits, Stock SG Seat Recovered
Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Road Captain
Send a message via AIM to Jaystn62

Thanks for the input guys but this bike has 3,800 miles and the check engine light does come on. Local dealer seemed more than happy to fix it under warranty so I'll let them deal with it. I do want a detailed explanation of what happened. Seems like a air or vacuum leak but I've never dealt with a FI bike. Will be a learning experience. Glad I'm not the first. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Banned

The idle control motor attached to the intake got gummed up by oil coming out of the breather.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 AM

P