Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sideshots vs T-header

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Badillac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sideshots vs T-header

First,I'm sure the question has been asked before,but I've searched and didn't get a straight answer so I'll ask away.Has anyone had both? I currently have a Thunderheader and am sick of scraping that bitch in low right turns.Ive ground a flat spot in the lower pope which is now paper thin and ready to rust through or a couple more low leans and it's gonna be ventilated! I love the looks of the side shots,but I dont want to lose any torque by going to a 2-2 system.I know they are connected at the end to help with scavenging like a 2-1 system,does it work? Am I gonna notice a huge seat of the pants loss by swapping out the Thunderheader? Btw 2000 wideglide 510G cams and jetted carb,stock heads. Thanks

Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 AM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badillac
First,I'm sure the question has been asked before,but I've searched and didn't get a straight answer so I'll ask away.Has anyone had both? I currently have a Thunderheader and am sick of scraping that bitch in low right turns.Ive ground a flat spot in the lower pope which is now paper thin and ready to rust through or a couple more low leans and it's gonna be ventilated! I love the looks of the side shots,but I dont want to lose any torque by going to a 2-2 system.I know they are connected at the end to help with scavenging like a 2-1 system,does it work? Am I gonna notice a huge seat of the pants loss by swapping out the Thunderheader? Btw 2000 wideglide 510G cams and jetted carb,stock heads. Thanks
Yes you are going to lose some tq in the low to mid ranges. Dunno how much but probably noticeable but not gunna "huge".
The other thing is sound. I'm not a fan of the Side Shots sound. They sound odd IMO.
I get wanting a pipe that won't drag. I just replaced my ProPipe with the stockers. They drag too. So now I have a yuck sound & still drag!
I was considering a TH, but now, not so much.
Another pipe that looks promising is the Samson Powerflow III. Just not sure of the quality. I've heard plenty of bad about Samson pipes breaking. (Not the Powerflow in particular)
http://www.samsonusa.com/C2-321.html

Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Badillac
Cruiser

Appreciate the answer man,I know I'd lose a little torque,but if it's under say 5ft lbs lost I wouldn't cry.Was hoping for someone that has had both to chime in.I know sooner or later I'm just gonna get pissed enough to blow the coin on an RB Racing LSR 2-1 and be done with the whole mess!!! It's just the sideshots are pretty damn sexy...

Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

side shots will still drag now and again, side shots sound is to much in my view, I rode with them and stock baffles for a while and now have BCT QQ baffles I and I am adding the V&H quiet ones after my cam install next week (when I tune it),

rate them,
power = so so not the best option
looks = good if thats your thing
sound = loud and tinny, not the best

I got them so I could mod my brake lever and gears to the same side as I am amputee.

Last edited by ==ShaDoW==; 09-14-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Krowbar
Banned

Best of both worlds...

Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact TNT performance in Ventura. They can put you in touch with a guy in the area who does amazing work to thunderheaders. He twists the pipes to eliminate the header scraper, shortens them and kicks the exit up about 5". Most the local club guys seem to do this and they ride their **** hard around here. You'll save money over buying a new exhaust (if you don't count selling the old exhaust lol)

Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Scarfmace
Advanced

I have a 2-1 supertrapp supermeg on my FXDF and the first thing that touches the ground is my footpeg. I ride with standard shocks an even with 2 up exhaust is never first. Love the look - preformance - sound

Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably don't want to hear this but longer shocks are the answer.I've got 13" Ricors and can't remember the last time I scraped my pipe.Or you can have the pipe modified probably for less than the cost of buying the side shots which will probably still scrape.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both.

I didn't feel much of a power loss myself. I did put in some BCT baffles and feel like I gained some low end back and improved the sound of the side shots.

I missed the two-two sound and looks. The t-header was my second 2-1 pipe and it is ugly, I didn't notice "huge" gains as many claim and your right, it hangs low. Special Ed is right though, longer shocks will help improve your lean angles.

I doubt you'd lose 5 lbs of torque....I couldn't tell a difference in the way the bike felt. Maybe on a dyno, but in real life no.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
FatBobJob
Advanced

I've had v&h big radius 2-1 and hated that damn whale d*ck it hung so friggen low I couldnt turn right without skerrrrrtin and sparkin. So I got the sideshots... Didn't see too much of a difference probably less than ur limit of 5 is have to check my dyno sheets. But the f*ckers still scrape! Not close to as bad I was gonna cut about 2 inches off the end of them in August but teenager took my bike out and now Ill just figure something new or chop and wrap my sideshots.... I know ur looking for a happy medium but I just dont have an answer for you man I love the short shots sound but they produce the least power and I see em on EVERY bike in my town so i went with the sideshots I like the sound, more clearance(still gonna add some more) still create good power and I don't see them much because people would rather ditch the power and spend less on the sideshots that look similar but lack the power chamber design of the sideshots... If I did it again id like to try the competition series 2-1... Good luck let us know what you end up picking

Quick Reply: Sideshots vs T-header