Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDWG Evo or TC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Pole
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FXDWG Evo or TC?

I'm moving into HD world, after several years of owning KTM's.
I'm considering buying Dyna Wide Glide or Road king, but there's a choice of few engine types.

There's 1995 FXDWG Evo, with 30,000 miles.

On the other hand, slightly cheaper there's 2006 FXDWG TC with even less miles - 20,000.
This one has been dropped on the right hand side, nothing serious apart of requiring new paint, which is not a problem for me, considering it's fairly new(ish) 2006 model.
On the other hand it's not only the newest but the cheapest out of all three I can afford.

For a bit more, there's 1998 Road Kind, FI, with 30,000 miles, which I also like.

Which one should I go for?
As new as possible or stick to the good old Evo?
Avoid FI?
I don't mind a bit of spannering but hearing about some possible "to-go-wrong" things on an TC, it really puts me off.
I feel I'd be happy with any out of those three, Dyna or Touring was always my choice, however the simpler the better.

Mind that HD parts in Poland are expensive, comparing to European or even Japaneese bike parts, that's why I'm trying to avoid unnecessary expenses.

Can't really comment on bike's mileage until I see them in flesh.

Help please.
Pawel

Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

I have an evo and a twin cam, and I am not biased between the two.

Absolutely nothing wrong with an evo. Engines aside, there are some differences to be noted between a 95 Dyna and a 06 Dyna. Biggest difference is the transmission, 06 has the 6 speed. The 06 has sealed wheel bearings vs bearings that need to be packed. 06 will have a wider rear tire. The 06 has different hand controls than the 95. The 06 has better brakes. If the 06 doesn't have it already, a (stock harley) security system is easily added. The 06 should also have an automatic primary chain tensioner.

I would not worry about things going wrong with either engine if they are both stock or close to stock. In factory form the twin cam will be more powerful. Nothing wrong with fuel injection, as long as you realize you will need to buy a tuner to make changes. I prefer carburetors myself, but will admit fuel injection is more versatile and you can ultimately have a better running, more fuel efficient bike with it. On an evolution, however, I would probably only buy a carb version (just my personal preference). On a bike like the 06, you don't get a choice, so it doesn't matter.

I'm sure all of those bikes would make a great ride, but if I had to choose between only one of them, I would get the 2006 dyna.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The o6 does have the IPB and Stator issue, the 05 could have the tensioner issue, the EVO no issues known to me.All great bikes just some things to watch for

Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
The o6 does have the IPB and Stator issue, the 05 could have the tensioner issue, the EVO no issues known to me.All great bikes just some things to watch for
Both of those issues on an '06 can be fixed for about $100 worth of parts and preventative maintenance if you are mechanically inclined. Hardly an issue.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Ucci
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the known issues are all easy to deal with for most people. The fuel mileage on long rides with FI is better and does not need messing with when going from sea level to the rockies and beyond. some carbureated models dont like the elevation change, but still run ok. best of luck on your decision.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own and love my twin cam, but that 98 road king is beautiful. Out of the 3 that would be my choice. Tc's and evos are good motors, just a little different technology.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Of the three bikes, I'd get The King.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

RK, though they're all nice bikes. If the Evo was a '96, I'd say that one, but the 95 has the crappier controls/speedo IMO. The 06 also has the case issue, doesn't it? Six speed is the **** tho.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
RK, though they're all nice bikes. If the Evo was a '96, I'd say that one, but the 95 has the crappier controls/speedo IMO. The 06 also has the case issue, doesn't it? Six speed is the **** tho.
Case issue? Never heard of that one. I have owned a few evo's as well as a number of Twin Cams. It all depends on your riding style,etc. That RK is pretty nice-I only prefer carbs myself. If you buy an Evo with FI your looking at the Magna Marelli. Better buy all the sensors off ebay if thats the case,as they WILL go out! Best to stick with carbs with the evo's! (I think the Evo's have more soul personally. I miss mine frequently (Wideglide). Only reason I don't still have it is because of a back surgery!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Borisat
Cruiser

out of those 3 i would choose the 06 WG,

but ask the owner about inner primary bearing (noise)

all 3 x bikes are good , the yellow is hideous , but if ts damaged just paint it

Last edited by Borisat; 09-16-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Quick Reply: FXDWG Evo or TC?