Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help--Messed up Grip Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts
Default Please Help--Messed up Grip Install

Sorry for the newb questions. Feel free to laugh or poke fun. I have never worked on bikes before.

I tried installing new grips today. I did consult the service manual. Unfortunately, the job I did sucks. I put the grips on the left--no problem. Easy as cake. The right grip caused me to totally mess up the throttle cables. I don't what gives.

I started accroding to the instructions in service manual. Let out all slack in both idle and throttle cable by looseining nut. Popped out the ferals from the stock throttle. Removes grip, put new grip into bar. It took some doing but I got the ferals on the end of the cable to pop in. Unfortunately, there is now a lot of slack and it looks like the ferals bob up and down inside the slot when the throttle is twisted. They get jammed on the housing when it is closed. I followed instructions to tighten the throttle and idle return using the cable adjusters. They never seem to pop back all the way ebcause of the rising feral pin. The best I could do was get it so it popped back almost 90% of the way.

I don't know what to do. I hope I didn't screw up the cables or bend something. I tried resintalling the stock grip and the same thing. Ferals bob up and down in socket when it is pinned into the slot.

Thank you for any advice or assistance.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 PM
j2m
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a pic?

Old 09-15-2012, 05:59 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to set the limit for the throttle body and adjust the cables per the manual after the install. They should be loose like you describe until you do that. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 PM
MiniWolf

Thanks for the assistance. I adjusted the cables and set the limit. There is always slack no matter what I do.

I think I am screwed pretty good. Going to tow to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can look at it Monday.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM
RJHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a fairly straight forward job. If you can post some pictures, maybe someone can help you figure things out. Be cheaper than a tow and repair bill from the dealer if it's something simple.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Open the adjuster on the throttle cable until the slack is gone. Adjust the idle cable, ( ferrule closest to you when in the seat,) until most of the slack is taken out. ( This one should not be "tight", a little slack is good.)

Start the bike, and turn the bars lock to lock. If the idle stays even, you're done. The grip should fall back to idle immediately when released.

Last edited by Stiggy; 09-15-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Take the throttle side apart and make sure the cables are in track, also double check the copper stops are in tight. If you take of the top of the ignition assembly you can adjust the cables while you stare inside. Take some pictures if possible

Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the cables are not routed properly arround the groove in the grip. Loosen the cables and make sure to lay the cable back into the groove. You will have to lift the cable to get it started into the slot.
Billy

Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Open the adjuster on the throttle cable until the slack is gone. Adjust the idle cable, ( ferrule closest to you when in the seat,) until most of the slack is taken out. ( This one should not be "tight", a little slack is good.)

Start the bike, and turn the bars lock to lock. If the idle stays even, you're done. The grip should fall back to idle immediately when released.
I'd follow this , and check to make sure the other ends of the cables are still sitting where they should be

Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM
MiniWolf

[quote=Stiggy;10336060]Open the adjuster on the throttle cable until the slack is gone. Adjust the idle cable, ( ferrule closest to you when in the seat,) until most of the slack is taken out. ( This one should not be "tight", a little slack is good.)

The problem is there is slack everywhere. It doesn't matter how much I adjust the throttle adjustment cables/screws either way. It gets to a point where it remains limp and lifeless.

I will try to do some more in the AM. I am just furstrated to the max. I thought I was fairly good with working on autos and such. I guess have a lot to learn when it comes to bikes.This just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Followed the service manual instructions to a tee. Even consulted a youtube video on a harley cable adjustment and did same exact thing. Can't take up slack.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 09-15-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Please Help--Messed up Grip Install