Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires, wholy crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New tires, wholy crap

Needed tires on my '09 SB, and with everyone here and everywhere else saying the stock dumflops are crap compared to anything else, so I went with Metzeler this time around. And wow, what a HUGE difference. Every part about handling got significantly better. Weird cracks in the road don't exist, turning is almost effortless like it's on rails, and the rear end "sway/wobble" I would get on high speed turns is gone (thought that was caused mostly by the control arms connected to rubber mounted trans/engine & stock shocks).

On the way home, I intended to take it easy and let the tires break in a little, but that only lasted about 15 mins before I started hauling ***. Amazing difference.

I know this is old news to most of you, but I just wanted to throw that out there again.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Badillac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Metzelers for a few years now and SWEAR by them.Id be afraid to drop coin on anything else and be disappointed.I mean really does a tire get any better than these???

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll 2nd that. I had Metzler put on the last time around and also installed a Sputhe Positrac. I'm not an aggresive rider so I didn't think I would really notice the difference but I could tell right away ... it just feels more solid.

Jimmie

Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm sure there is a "better" tire somewhere, but these are definitely tough to beat. Wish I new about this sooner.

Jimmie, I've been looking at that Sputhe system for a little while now, they're located right down the hill from me, and seems like a good product. Do/did you have a vapor canister on your bike? Does that have to be removed to install it?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My bro's Ultra seems to eat an 880 in less than 8000-mi...he's gone back to Dunnies.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Deadwood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had any of those issues you mention but confidence in your tires is paramount.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Softer tires have better traction and wear a tad faster.
Small price to pay for the extra comfort and confidence.
Metz all the way for me.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, hard too find a better handling bias tire for a Dyna than the Metz, replaced the Stock Scorchers on my Bob at 7k with the Metz, good to go. Not too happy with 8k out of the rear so thought I'd try a Commander II back there- 10k on it so far and it looks like another 2k left on the tread- but degradation in the handling department ain't worth the extra miles to me, it will be back to the Metz front and rear when the Commander is done.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
kcblaze
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I must not ride that hard because the Dunlops on my 07 Bob work just fine and when I heard people were only getting 8k out of Metz's I stuck with the Dunlops. I got almost 17k out of the rear and still going on the front at 24k.
Twice the miles and less cost for a good tire is hard to beat.
Maybe I need to ride more aggressive to see the cost and handling difference payout!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had great luck with metzler and dunlops both . When you replace worn tires , handling comes back that has eroded away mostly unnoticed because it was gradual. pretty easy to blame whatever brand was on the bike until you consider it was worn out.

Quick Reply: New tires, wholy crap