Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 PM
VRod02
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Comfort

Hey Guys,
I got a 2010 Wide Glide. Right now it has the 2pc seat with removable luggage rack. My wife naturally has some comfort issues. Shes small about 5'1", 120 lbs or so. She slides forward.
So I'm wondering if I had a backrest for me if maybe this would take up some space. Do they sell the backrest seperate? or is do you have to buy an entire seat?
Next thought is maybe I could get a wider passenger seat such as the Sundowner. Anyone with experience with this seat? Thought maybe I could just buy the passenger seat and keep mine the way it is.
If any of you also have a pic with a sundowner on the bike please post so I can see what it would look like.
thanks

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Try a Rallyrunner seat. My wife liked it. Had it on my Street Bob. Looks much better than the Sundowner.

My wife is 5'7" at 127 lbs.

Last edited by Honey-Badger; 09-17-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a WG but I think the application is the same - this is the HD touring seat, it's an inch narrower than the Sundowner, the wider seat goes a long way for passenger comfort, you should get no more complaints - also, a backrest will give her something to hold onto under braking thus preventing the slide.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VRod02
My wife naturally has some comfort issues. Shes small about 5'1", 120 lbs or so. She slides forward.
I'm not sure I understand the problem.

I have a 2012 Wide Glide and put a Fat Bob rear fender on it with a Switchback seat. Still a work in progress.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We've gone through the stock solo with the HD Passenger Pillion for Dyna (51535-06A) & small backrest pad for the stock sissy bar, a Rally Runner (horrible quality control; sent it back), the Touring saddle (waaay too big for the Dyna IMHO unless you're a big guy/gal or truly doing long rides... then it's fine) and finally got it squared away with:

1. Better shocks (Ohlins), which is really key to passenger comfort
2. A C&C Sport Tour saddle, which does slope backwards
3. Removable H-D sissy bar/backrest/luggage rack

What I'd like to see is the "Low" sissy bar offered for the newer Wide Glides and a lower mounting point for the luggage rack and the AeroWing luggage rack offered for the Wide Glide.

While the rack & backrest that we have works great, the looks leave something to be desired.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM
VRod02
Novice

I'm definetly getting some good ideas..thanks
this is what I'm working with, naturally I don't want a seat thats real wide... need to still look good!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM
hooligan13
Advanced

People actually care about passenger comfort. Jk... Tell her to hold on to you tighter... Ha..

Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Cracker1450
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C&C SportTour seat really helped with rider & passenger comfort, that combined with the quick disconnect backrest made a world of difference.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my wife is also 5'2 110 lbs... key is sissy bar... i rocked a stock seat with passenger pill for a while then got a sun downer and she is in love... calls it the couch... then again hates the hook so she only lets me put it on for her when we are going to be on the bike for more than 2 or 3 hours strait... if she is sliding forward she is not all the way back on her seat wtih the back against the bar.

this is the set up she loves!!! (with the exception of the sun downer)

bad pick i know but this is with the reg sissy bar on the back

Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 AM
alfxdc
Intermediate

If you are comfortable with the seat, it kind of depends on how much riding your wife is going to be doing with you.

If the idea is a lot...get a mustang touring seat and a backrest.
I tried the Harley touring seat...it was waste of money. I wasn't comfortable, and it wasn't any better for my wife. Ended up buying a Mustang. We are both happy with it.

Otherwise, something like a gel-pad or an airhawk that you can put on her seat, and take off easily when she wants to ride with you.

Happy wife...Happy life.
or so I have been told.

al

Quick Reply: Passenger Comfort