Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 HD Switchback Aluminum Cover Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Nipdawg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 HD Switchback Aluminum Cover Cleaning

After the aluminum covers on the HD Switchback were washed at the dealer, they were streaked from water runs where the aluminum covers looked horrible. The dealer cleaned up the aluminum covers using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. This apparently had never happened at the dealership on a Switchback. I was their first Switchback in for service. The aluminum covers are clean looking now. I did not know the HD dealership washes the bike after each service. The HD cleaner they use should not be used on Switchbacks. The HD dealership did a great job on cleaning the aluminum covers.

I bought a can of the Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and the Mothers PowerBall Mini Polishing Tool that makes polishing the aluminum covers better and faster. I polished some of the aluminum covers again as they were looking dingy from my riding.

Now my question is there a way to use or get a smaller powerball for the drill to polish the aluminum covers? The mini powerball will not get in the corner areas of the shifter (left side) and the lower parts of the covers on the right side near the pipes. Sorry, I do not know all the names of the aluminum covers on the Switchback (at least for now).

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Nipdawg
The mini powerball will not get in the corner areas of the shifter (left side) and the lower parts of the covers on the right side near the pipes. Sorry, I do not know all the names of the aluminum covers on the Switchback (at least for now).

Thanks.
I use an old toothbrush wrapped in a piece of cotton cloth like the spoke cleaner below:

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
In order to avoid sore fingers after cleaning the spokes, I made a few tools. Have fun making and using them!

1) Take a metal type coat-hanger and straighten the wire

2) Fold the two end towards each other and close the eye tight using pliers or a hammer

3)Bend the eye about 45° and solder both wires together to strengthen the tool

4) Cover the handle part using duct tape

5) Fold a piece of steel-wool together, slide it in the eye and apply a few drips of aluminum polish

6) Now you will be able to get access to every part of your spokes

7) Use a piece of cloth to finish the polish

8) You can also use an old tooth brush which is extended by using a piece of PVC pipe (as used to cover electrical wires)