Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation Tips for HS's New Combination Digital Speedo/Analog Tacho for Dynas

Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installation Tips for HS's New Combination Digital Speedo/Analog Tacho for Dynas

Hi guys - seeing the troubles other folks have had doing this I thought I would add the following notes:
  1. When synching the speedo for the first time read and follow the instructions very carefully. The instructions don't explicitly say which grey data port to use - but make sure you use the grey data port next to the main 40 amp fuse. Pull the fuse box cover on the near (left) side and its right there. It has a 3 pin out configuration.
  2. Once the above step has been completed, and before you do anything else, pull the main 40 amp fuse. Whilst not necessary - not doing so could invalidate any warranty (as one other dude found out to his cost)! Since there is no harm in doing this step I would council doing it just as a precaution. Also once you've pulled the main fuse don't forget to then switch the ignition to 'off'.
  3. Then when replacing the stock speedo for the new one, when you do everything back up just double check the tank housing cover rubber seal is all in place, and that none of the cables are likely to get pinched when you put the bolts back in and tighten everything down.
  4. Obvious one - cover the tank with a cloth so as to avoid scratches and scraps etc., as if you are like me you will drop something :-).
  5. To change the colours and then save your choices its all about deft wrist movements switching between off, ign, and acc, practice first and you'll get it easily enough. Sadly you can only scroll forward, but holding the rubber button in will make it scroll faster.

I think that's about it - have fun and good luck. I was loving mine till I dislocated my shoulder and I'm now off riding now for 2/3 weeks min!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM
HD-MC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips will be getting mine tonight and installing it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaffy52
Hi guys - seeing the troubles other folks have had doing this I thought I would add the following notes:
  1. When synching the speedo for the first time read and follow the instructions very carefully. The instructions don't explicitly say which grey data port to use - but make sure you use the grey data port next to the main 40 amp fuse. Pull the fuse box cover on the near (left) side and its right there. It has a 3 pin out configuration.
  2. Once the above step has been completed, and before you do anything else, pull the main 40 amp fuse. Whilst not necessary - not doing so could invalidate any warranty (as one other dude found out to his cost)! Since there is no harm in doing this step I would council doing it just as a precaution. Also once you've pulled the main fuse don't forget to then switch the ignition to 'off'.
  3. Then when replacing the stock speedo for the new one, when you do everything back up just double check the tank housing cover rubber seal is all in place, and that none of the cables are likely to get pinched when you put the bolts back in and tighten everything down.
  4. Obvious one - cover the tank with a cloth so as to avoid scratches and scraps etc., as if you are like me you will drop something :-).
  5. To change the colours and then save your choices its all about deft wrist movements switching between off, ign, and acc, practice first and you'll get it easily enough. Sadly you can only scroll forward, but holding the rubber button in will make it scroll faster.

I think that's about it - have fun and good luck. I was loving mine till I dislocated my shoulder and I'm now off riding now for 2/3 weeks min!!!
After you "pull the fuse box cover, and locate the data port, Then pull the main 40 amp fuse."

After pulling the fuse then dont forget to turn the ignition to 'off'? Why would you have the ignition switch on at this point? Bad idea to pull fuses with ignitiion switch on..

And after you pull the fuse, you should hook up the new speedo to the data port, for data transfer before your next step of changing out speedo?

Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Originally Posted by RonnR
After you "pull the fuse box cover, and locate the data port, Then pull the main 40 amp fuse."

After pulling the fuse then dont forget to turn the ignition to 'off'? Why would you have the ignition switch on at this point? Bad idea to pull fuses with ignitiion switch on..

And after you pull the fuse, you should hook up the new speedo to the data port, for data transfer before your next step of changing out speedo?
The instructions explicitly say to do the data transfer with the 40 amp fuse in - otherwise how could you turn the ign on and off to complete this process - doh!!!!!!!!! I guess you don't have a copy to read!

As to why you need to pull the fuse with the ignition on - I guess you like the alarm going off when you pull the fuse :-)

Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 AM
RoadLord
Banned

I like those new speedos but for the price I think I'll just get some new exhaust :-)

Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
45 AUTO
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's fine for '10 and earlier, but newer Dyna's you just unplug the old and plug up the new. No gray data cable....

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 AM
allbrste
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

installed my new speedo on my 08 streetbob tues evening , with helpful hints from Gringoloco13. Now the only issue is the colors . when i am in the setup menu , and i am holding in the reset button , and i let it go when i get to a color i like , even after i let the button go , the colors still keep scrolling. Any idea what i am doing wrong ?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Press and hold the trip reset button to quickly cycle through the colors or press and release the trip reset button repeatedly to slowly cycle through the colors.

When you get to the color you want then turn the ign switch quickly to off and then back to accy to save your color choice. The guage will display saved and then return to the display color select menu.

I just copied the above from the instructions.........

Attached Thumbnails Installation Tips for HS's New Combination Digital Speedo/Analog Tacho for Dynas-instructions-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Gaffy52; 09-20-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaffy52
The instructions explicitly say to do the data transfer with the 40 amp fuse in - otherwise how could you turn the ign on and off to complete this process - doh!!!!!!!!! I guess you don't have a copy to read!

As to why you need to pull the fuse with the ignition on - I guess you like the alarm going off when you pull the fuse :-)
Your instruction tips say nothing about a 'data transfer' step. doh!!!!!

And your so right, if I had a copy of the factory instruction to read, There would be no need for me to read your helpful step by step instruction tips.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Originally Posted by RonnR
Your instruction tips say nothing about a 'data transfer' step. doh!!!!!

You need to learn to read man - "When synching the speedo for the first time read and follow the instructions very carefully. The instructions don't explicitly say which grey data port to use - but make sure you use the grey data port next to the main 40 amp fuse. Pull the fuse box cover on the near (left) side and its right there. It has a 3 pin out configuration."

And your so right, if I had a copy of the factory instruction to read, There would be no need for me to read your helpful step by step instruction tips.

One would assume that anyone attempting to install a new componant would at least read the instructions that came with the unit first - or perhaps that would be too British
Just seems to me the old adage of "engage brain before mouth" perhaps would help here - just saying

Just for you...............

Attached Thumbnails Installation Tips for HS's New Combination Digital Speedo/Analog Tacho for Dynas-instructions_0001-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Gaffy52; 09-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installation Tips for HS's New Combination Digital Speedo/Analog Tacho for Dynas