Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide glide as first street bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 AM
jeffrandal
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide glide as first street bike?

First I thank you for reading and hopefully responding to my question.

A bit of back ground...I am 6', I have ridden dirt bikes for several years ( I know street and dirt are completely different) and have recently completed an MSA course.

I have never ridden a big street bike but have been looking and sitting on several. The bike I have been longing for is a 2010-2012 wide glide which I feel very comfortable on.
I am looking for opinions and advise as to weather this is too much bike for a beginner street rider given it's power, weight and wide raked forks.

Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by jeffrandal; 09-22-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:01 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts

This sounds like a personals add

Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 AM
StreetBob235
Advanced

I'm sure you will be able to handle it. My advice is if you can go down to your nearest dealership and either test ride a Wide Glide or rent one and try it out. If you feel comfortable with it then make the purchase. Then maybe sign up for a MSA course near you if you haven't completed one yet. Helps lower the insurance as well. Best of luck!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Go for it brother, first bike ever for me was the 2010 wide glide

I cruise around on it all the time,you'll love it, be careful on gravel or using too much front brake

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 AM
DD-214
5th Gear

I actually bought my first "Street Bike" in January. I have a 2012 WG as well. I took the 3 day safety riders course in Georgia. The course consisted of riding a 250cc yamaha in a parking lot around a few cones. Even though I had rode dirt bikes my whole life, it was definately different riding the WG on the street. I would say I was more worried about someone pulling out in front of me or braking unexpectedly than anything. I also ride in Germany so its a whole different world, the streets are smaller but everyone has to take a 3 month drivers course before getting their licenses.
If I can give you any advise it would be to ride around parking lots, your neighborhood and any open spaces to get a real good feel of the bike. Because of the rake it turns a little slower and feels a little heavier, but once you get used to it you can throw it around. The brakes suck, don't follow too close, and watch out on the downshift, the 103 has torque, it will lock up the back tire quick. But just like any bike, if you respect it you will have a good time. I hope it helps you, the WG has a really comfortable riding position and the forward controls are great on long rides, it has plenty of power. Test ride it, if you don't like the rake then you can always buy a Fat Bob and put forward controls on it.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 AM
jimmy z
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The WG is a great bike and you'll handle it fine.I suggest you also try the Street Bob and Fat bob.Two awesome riding Dyna's.I was gonna get the WG but ended up getting the SB, and have no regrets.All three are fun to ride.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Andy_fxdwg
Novice

2010 WG with the 103 engine was the first Harley i've ever driving and that's what I was going to get, but I could pass up this deal on a 03 WG. Love them both

Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
dshaw282
3rd Gear

go for it!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
CB024
Road Master

The only thing you're really going to have to worry about is dropping it. The power in stock form is very tame and so are the brakes.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Test Ride as many bikes as you can get your hands on. You currently have no frame of reference.

Of all the bikes I have owned, I like my Wide Glide the best. Still has some of the handling characteristics of the Sportster, but doesnt have that big wallowing whale feel of the Heritage Softails, Road Glides, or Electras

Quick Reply: Wide glide as first street bike?