Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck between which FXR to get...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Krowbar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck between which FXR to get...

First one is an 85, virtually stock bike with 24,xxx miles but the odometer is not accurate. Miles basically unknown. I live in Southern Oregon, and this bike is in Phoenix. My brother lives there and will store it for me until I can make it down there. I can get this bike for $4000 flat, and the owner says it runs good and overall the bike is "good." They have money and many other bikes so they just want the room.

This is the other bike. Older gentleman owns it. Has invested an absurd amount of money to "Change the trail and rake to match that of a modern sportbike." Custom trees and all of that. The rake is adjustable too. It has a frenched in gsx-r gas cap on a FXR tank. The forks are all aftermarket, pretty fresh paint, EV3 cam, bigger CV carb, converted to chain drive, and he says he has almost 10k invested in the bike. 40K accurate miles and he offers a dyno tune sheet where the bike makes over 80 hp. This bike is $6k flat. Comes with a lot of extras too like extra set of brand new tires, 2 sets of saddlebags and 2 sissy bars and almost all of the original parts too...

Which bike would you rather buy given the price difference and mods. Keep in mind that the second one is local, and the first is way down in Arizona. Also, the guy with the second one is a very well off bike enthusiast who really does thing right. Motolab in CA did all the work. Talk to me friends

Thank you!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know as much about FXRs as I do about Bonsai trimming, but any guy that tells me he "changed the trail and rake to match that of a modern sportbike" probably would not hear back from me. I would go with the stock bike, and make it yours without changing what makes it an FXR.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The $6k bike speaks to me...It says buy me.

The first bike looks like a cobbled together mess.

Krowbar...as in Kirk Weindstein?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

First one looks like a cobbled up mess, especially that Hypercharger. Tubes look like they are a little long too. Second looks like someone had a plan and executed it.

Last edited by Lakerat; 09-20-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

the second fxr has lots of stuff you can resell to make some cash back. seems as tho to me it might be a pretty good bace to build it into something you like. i dig the pm brakes and full floaters too.
on the other hand an "un molested" bike is a good thing. not so many folks modding and f*!$ing things up.
seeing how its local, go take it for a ride. you know the other one will ride like a stock older harley. i would buy em both is i could but then again i have a problem with bikes and cars...or so i've been told

Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

I like the looks of the 2nd and agree with others on the 1st. However, changing the rake/trail to a sport bike. If ya want that buy a sport bike

For a data point, just bought a almost stock 2000 FXR4 CVO for $6000 with 7138 miles and there are only 900 of those made. Basically a FXRS with chrome and FXD brakes. Course it cost me $700 to ship it from the east coast to the PNW.

I prefer buying something closer to stock so I can mod it myself, very seldom are other peoples mods what I want. If the 2nd bike's after market parts are in demand - sell them. For after market forks - I'm surprised they are not inverted forks... If you are going sport that is the best option especially if you are taking the effort to change the rake/trail

Since this is a dyna forum you may want to post on the EVO Classic forum or the FXR forum on V-twin.com - they would know much more about the FXR's. They are an awesome bike with probably the best sport frame they made...

Finally, coverted to chain drive - why? Its not like its putting out 150hp... Belt is working just fine on my 120R in my dyna.

Last edited by PhotoRider; 09-20-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Krowbar
Banned

Yes, this guy had some serious plans for this bike and went to a very reputable shop in Northern Cali. He isn't entirely local, about 2 hours away. I cannot afford both.. haha Tha black one does look really nice, but does it take away that it is an FXR at all to you? The tree's are custom machined and everything. Progressive rear shocks. It is ridiculous, but I like Harley's over "street bikes."

Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,029 Likes on 651 Posts

Well, 40k ain't that bad but I'd rather get a bike with a known accurate mileage then a possible

Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,029 Likes on 651 Posts

Also the second bike has the newer style trans which is better

Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Krowbar
Banned

Originally Posted by parts eeter
The $6k bike speaks to me...It says buy me.

The first bike looks like a cobbled together mess.

Krowbar...as in Kirk Weindstein?
Not sure who that was before a quick Google search, but no.. haha

The second bike is an 87, should have mentioned that. The second bike does look really nice and I am certain the work done to it is top notch. I like the lok of it too, but it doesn't look like too much of an FXR any longer to me.

I'm not much for the newer CVO bikes really. That's a hell of a deal though. What else are you all thinking?

Quick Reply: Stuck between which FXR to get...