Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on bell 500 helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
AussieTX
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Opinions on bell 500 helmet?

I'm thinking about getting a bell 500 3/4 helmet, I was wondering what people's experiences are with them.
I already have a Harley ff and brain bucket. The brain bucket is nice but at 70mph+ the helmet feels like its going to fly off my head and I can't hear anything in my headphones when going over 35mph.
The ff is nice for this long highway commutes, but I just love the feeling of having the wind on my face.
Has anyone tried these bell 3/4s out? How is it with headphones in for music and does it lift like HD 1/2 helmets?
Thanks for any advice

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM
waverly
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one and it is a well made helmet. It won't lift bad like a 1/2 helmet does. I will say that the Biltwell hustler fits me better and is more comfortable ( plush lining ) as far as DOT 3/4 helmets are concerned, but either one is a solid choice

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM
oldlefty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a 500 3/4. custom painted and striped. looks cool and functions great. BUT it's a bit bigger looking of a helmut when you wear it.
i also listen to tunes when i ride and the bell is good for noise reduction. i can hear my music just fine.
i also have two daytona 3/4's and they fit awesome and are smaller in total size than the bell. the daytona is also a DOT

Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
BlueFlameWG
Cruiser

I like mine. Wear a fullface for work commute but a bell for off hours. Not a fan of windoise and it does a good job of reduction. Just be sure to try it on before buying.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM
AussieTX
Tourer

Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM
marcocruzer
Cruiser

I had a BELL CUSTOM in flat black. I sold it. It's a beautiful helmet... but I wow you get mushroom head with Bell.
I ended up with 2 NovDot's from Lick's (matte grey and gloss black) I haven't done a test crash yet, to see if they are safe in a real collision ... I'd say NovDot's are a fairly priced, lightweight, dot approved, 3/4 helmet that doesn't give you a mushroom head.
They are noisier than the Bell... and feels/looks of lesser quality than Bell... For the price, comfort and fit.... I'll take NovDot.
The new Biltwell's look really sharp too.
If you are sold on Bell... it"s a nice helmet too. I, personally, looked like the Great Asian Kazoo, so i never wore it.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Overdose
Intermediate

Just got one a few weeks ago with the 3 snap tinted shield. Very comfortable, cuts down on the wind noise significantly and does not lift off your head going down the highway.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 AM
markkoby
Tourer

The licks novdot helmet and bell custom 500 are the same size, my mate has a novdot and I have the custom 500, we both agree the bell is a better made helmet but both a nice to wear and well worth the money spend.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, worth every penny.
I love mine. less wind noise then my FF Shoie.
The only gripe is the helmet harness can swivel backwards where the snap for the loose end, just make sure it's facing the right way when putting it on or you got to take it back off and correct it.
Very comfortable, good looking too.
Allot better design then them bowling ball helmets. actually 1954 design brought up to DOT standards.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 AM
AussieTX
Tourer

Thanks guys, ill keep looking at them, the only thing that sounds off putting about the bell is the mushroom look.
I do love some of the bell 500 paint options though.

Last edited by AussieTX; 09-21-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on bell 500 helmet?