Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID projector retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Jacoblb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID projector retrofit

I ordered projectors for my truck from these guys last year and they were great and the product was high quality. I just noticed that they have a kit for motorcycles.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=927
Looks like it won't fit in our stock housings since it requires a 4" depth. Anyone have any ideas about what time of headlight I could obtain that these would fit into? Thanks

Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

just get the extension kit, you can find em on ebay for like 10 bucks, works great i have used it several times

Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer

Do you mean the extension that moves your headlight housing forward? I need a headlight that has more room inside the housing, to install the projector. The projector just fits into the stock shroud through the hole where the bulb goes. It just requires a greater depth.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

If you look through the forum at trs there's a few threads in there where a guy retro'd a projector into some big *** aftermarket bucket, can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

Problem with running a projector in a bike is that the cutoff is gonna lean as you do making it pretty difficult to see through the corners.

Plus with the amount of coin you'd drop on the retro kit and a new housing, you'd just be better off buying a LED bulb IMHO

Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer

I've thought about led headlights but i haven't heard many good things about light dispersion, especially with running just a single front light. Right now I'm probably going just swap my bulb for a PIAA. But I'd like to the HID projector at some point.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

yeah a projector would be nice but like I said you're gonna have a hard time seeing thru corners.

The guy on the TRS forum had like a red superglide or something. But in addition to the projector in the headlight he had 2 projectors in the passing lamps as well to compensate for the blind spots in the turns.

Looked fugly to me but I'm sure it was bright!!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer

I agree with you on the driving lights. I'll dig around and see what I find. I'll try to post a writeup if I end up doing this.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-High-Volt...d0fbf5&vxp=mtr

this is the kit, allows you to tuck the ballast under the tank or some where else and run the wires up to the lamp
I run HID and led lamps have NOTHING on it

Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
coobies5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to have a hid projector! OP if you do end up getting the trs's kit, post up please. I might just get a ddm kit since I've had no issues with the ones in my vehicle for the past 3-4 years.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
just get the extension kit, you can find em on ebay for like 10 bucks, works great i have used it several times
I don't see how the extension wires you link to answer the OP's question. He wants to install an HID projector inside his stock headlight.
I have the same problem. The HID kit I have works great but I'd like an HID projector inside the 7" headlight to take full advantage of it.

Quick Reply: HID projector retrofit