Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 quiet pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 PM
RJHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stage 1 quiet pipes?

I'm likely going to do a stage one over the winter and am looking at options for pipes. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but really am NOT looking for loud pipes.

More interested in keeping the sound level close to the stock pipes as possible. Just a lower rumble instead of the "no rumble" of the stock.

Want to reduce engine heat and just help the motor run better. Not necessarily looking for better performance.

Have heard V&H twin slash slip ons and felt they were louder than I wanted. I know V&H makes "quiet" baffles. How quiet are they?

Any suggestions for a full pipe replacement that won't be very loud?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 PM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SuperTrapp SuperMeg 2:1 I installed today sounds really good,is pretty quiet with the closed end cap and 20 disks. Plus it's tunable for performance and sound.
It's not stock quiet but it's very neighborhood friendly imo.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RJHD
I'm likely going to do a stage one over the winter and am looking at options for pipes. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but really am NOT looking for loud pipes.

More interested in keeping the sound level close to the stock pipes as possible. Just a lower rumble instead of the "no rumble" of the stock.

Want to reduce engine heat and just help the motor run better. Not necessarily looking for better performance.

Have heard V&H twin slash slip ons and felt they were louder than I wanted. I know V&H makes "quiet" baffles. How quiet are they?

Any suggestions for a full pipe replacement that won't be very loud?
I have V&H quiet baffles and they tone down the harshness, but do not really make the mufflers quiet.

I'd recommend H-D Screaming Eagle slip-ons. Give a rumble without a lot of loudness. Not a full pipe replacement but probably the sound you're looking for.

Sammi

Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,198 Likes on 12,879 Posts

Don't kid yourself,you really want your bike to sound like this.(Rineharts)

Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would second what sammi said. Go with some screaming eagle slipons. They will give you a little rumble.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
OldTyme
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of bike are we talking about here?

I know my Bub exhaust is very mellow @ idle & @ cruising speed, but if you open it up it will put out a pretty big sound.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 PM
RJHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a 2012 Fat Bob.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:35 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There's only two pipes out there that match what you are looking for and still perform well and that's the SE pipes already mentioned and Remus slipons.

Anything by V+H will not be anything like what you want, no matter what baffles you fit.

I've had both on my Fat Bob and the Remus slipons are very very good, plus they come with two sets of baffles (quiet and a little louder) that are changeable in about a minute and you can tune them easily with just a bit of hacksawing or drilling.

An advantage for you with slipons is that you will have more choice because your model has the new smaller O2 sensors and not every full system maker is geared up for them yet.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 AM
bg1
Cruiser

SE slip ons are exactly what you describe. A little deeper sound without being loud, plus they can be installed in less than half an hour!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 AM
trek51
Novice

I agree with the Screaming Eagles. I have them on my Low Rider and they are the perfect balance between subtle and a deep throaty sound.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 quiet pipes?