Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPB race walking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM
my06fxdli
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IPB race walking

So I have the famous IPB race issue and have pretty much torn everything out and was able to remove the race by grinding enough off to get the tool on it. The seal behind the reace was shredded. Anybody know how to get this seal out?

Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the fifth gear seal, between main output shaft & extended nose on 5th gear. It's a royal pain to get out! At least it was for me.

I had to use a very small jewelers screwdriver & get behind it & go around & around & around etc. very slowly nudging it out from the inside of the fifth gear just a bit at a time. It took me a long time to get it out. It was stuck pretty tight to the inside of the fifth gear extention. To start off & try to break the seal, I carefully ran a very sharp/pointed awl between the metal frame o.d. of the seal & the fifth gear i.d. That was probably not a good idea, but it was the only way I could get it loosened up so it would start moving. There's gotta be a better way, but I couldn't figger it out. Some say you can drill a hole & run a screw into the outer seal face & pull it out. I found that to be totally impossible. Outer face of seal is too thin & damaged & angle is not right for drilling. Very thin space anyway.

Whatever you do, be careful not to nick the sealing surface of the main output shaft where the new seal will run. The i.d. of the fifth gear is a bit more forgiving, but try to avoid nicking it as well.

I did put one obvious scratch on the i.d. of the fifth gear nose, but when I got the new seal in and the primary back together, there seems to be no leakage of tranny fluid into the primary & vice versa so it apparently worked for me. good luck.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 PM
my06fxdli
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll give it a go and keep you posted.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:54 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I used a finger drill to make a hole in the seal and threaded a wood screw in it and pulled it out with some pliers.