Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLD CAT Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLD CAT Rattle

I have a rattle in my exhaust that seems to be coming from the CAT. I hear it loudly until the bike warms up. I still hear it a little after the bike warms up but it seems like it's the membrane rattling. Everything else is tightened to spec. Does anyone else have issues with this. I'm on a '12 FLD.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

first i have heard of this issue... if you are sure heatshields and everything else is tight you need to see the dealer on this one

Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

I went to the dealer and had them start up one of their rental FLDs. Same tin rattling. It's gotta be the CAT. Everything is tightened down.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM
cecharles
Tourer

CAT is a ceramic and not metallic, I'm not sure it could rattle.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Ceramic does not expand or contract with heat, but there is also platinum embedded in the cat for the catlyst. However, the platinum is granular and it can't rattle due to being embedded.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer

The noise has me stumped then. I heard the same noise on the rental FLD. I can't narrow it down. I'm gonna try again and I'll post what I find.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a trick for you odie! Hold a long screwdriver handle to your ear in a fist and hold the sharp end on suspicious areas of the bike, like a stethescope you will know right away when you touch the right spot!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 AM
hjc950
Advanced

Originally Posted by odie-in-az
I have a rattle in my exhaust that seems to be coming from the CAT. I hear it loudly until the bike warms up. I still hear it a little after the bike warms up but it seems like it's the membrane rattling. Everything else is tightened to spec. Does anyone else have issues with this. I'm on a '12 FLD.
Had the same issue with my 12 FXDC when new. Figured it for the CAT, or the primary chain tightener. At about 2500 to 3000 mi the noise when away and hasn't returned. Now almost 6000 mi.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

A mechanic at the dealer checked it out and determined it was a bad baffle. It's a warranty issue of course but the mechanic said I had to make an appointment and have it diagnosed so the paperwork could be approved, signed, and the new muffler ordered. I told him you just diagnosed it! He said it had to be a thorough inspection. So now I get to sit in the waiting room for 3 hours to be told that it's what I already know it is. Then I get to wait weeks before the part comes in and then wait again for a few hours while they install a muffler that would take me 5 minutes. Oh well......

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by odie-in-az
A mechanic at the dealer checked it out and determined it was a bad baffle. It's a warranty issue of course but the mechanic said I had to make an appointment and have it diagnosed so the paperwork could be approved, signed, and the new muffler ordered. I told him you just diagnosed it! He said it had to be a thorough inspection. So now I get to sit in the waiting room for 3 hours to be told that it's what I already know it is. Then I get to wait weeks before the part comes in and then wait again for a few hours while they install a muffler that would take me 5 minutes. Oh well......
throw some type of slip on-on it and be done with it

Quick Reply: FLD CAT Rattle