Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDB new noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Cloyder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDB new noise

My 2010 Street Bob started making a new noise yesterday. I had ridden for about an hour and then got stuck in traffic and spent 20 min. stopped and creeping along a few feet at a time. The noise started towards the end of the traffic part of the ride. For lack of a better way to describe it, it is a tone that sounds like running your finger around the rim of a crystal glass. I hear it on the right side of the bike. It happens when I take off right at the clutch engagement point for a second or two when I get the bike moving. It only happens at that particular RPM. If I give it more or less gas when I start I don't hear it. I can also hear it sometimes when just riding slowly, like around a parking lot, not using the clutch at all. Sometimes I can hear it very faintly when the bike is in neutral and I give it a little gas. I parked the bike for a few hours and then rode it again. The noise didn't start again for 15 min. or so until the bike was warmed up. Has anybody ever heard anything like this?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:24 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have no idea but i also would like to know what that is

Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could possibly be your front brake, I know mine does it at certain speeds. Next time it happens squeeze the brake harder without stopping the bike. Bet it stops when you brake harder.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer

Sorry I didnt read the bit where you said it happens at idle... sorry!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior

Gremlins, do you have a bell? Suggest you get one. I like the brake idea.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:51 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

your bike was probably over heating.....

Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloyder
My 2010 Street Bob started making a new noise yesterday. I had ridden for about an hour and then got stuck in traffic and spent 20 min. stopped and creeping along a few feet at a time. The noise started towards the end of the traffic part of the ride. For lack of a better way to describe it, it is a tone that sounds like running your finger around the rim of a crystal glass. I hear it on the right side of the bike. It happens when I take off right at the clutch engagement point for a second or two when I get the bike moving. It only happens at that particular RPM. If I give it more or less gas when I start I don't hear it. I can also hear it sometimes when just riding slowly, like around a parking lot, not using the clutch at all. Sometimes I can hear it very faintly when the bike is in neutral and I give it a little gas. I parked the bike for a few hours and then rode it again. The noise didn't start again for 15 min. or so until the bike was warmed up. Has anybody ever heard anything like this?
Change the oil and primary fluid and see if it goes away when warmed up- sounds like you got it hot enuff to cut the viscosity way down, maybe put a little glaze on clutch plate?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Cloyder
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try changing oil and primary oil. I just did that a month ago though and the weather has been cooler here.

Afterthought: I adjusted the clutch a month ago when I changed the fluids. The engagement point is further out now than it was. It used to be closer to the handlebar. Now it engages about halfway out. I have not noticed any slipping though so it must be very little if it's doing it. If it is the clutch, wouldn't I hear it on the left instead of the right?

Last edited by Cloyder; 09-24-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No idea if it's your clutch- but that would be a lot nicer than a bearing. Just change your fluids first before 'losing anymore sleep' over it.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Cloyder
Intermediate

I think I've eliminated the clutch as the source of the noise. I changed the primary fluid and re-adjusted the clutch. Then I took it out for a 30 min. ride down the highway and then back through town. It didn't start again until I stopped and started a few times in a parking lot. I does it in neutral and in gear at that certain RPM that is just above idle (sorry I can't be more specific on that as I don't have a tach). Using the clutch doesn't seem to cause it, it just happens to hold it at that RPM for a couple seconds when I start. It sounds like it is coming from the motor on the right side. Sounds kind of like a quiet low pitched horn. I will try changing the oil tonight unless anyone has any other ideas. I don't think I've broken down the oil though, it's only a month old and has been in very little stop and go traffic.

Quick Reply: FXDB new noise