Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "FXDB-F" (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
KentFXD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project "FXDB-F" (pics)

PROJECT "FXDBF"

Started out as my 2010 FXDB Street Bob. I knew immediately I didn't like the Mini-Apes, so I started with some Loner Industry risers, a set of drag bars, a used two-up seat from a FXDC, and a HD "short" sissy bar and pad. And it was good... for a while.

I then ventured into the dash -- the genesis of that effort was that I wanted to move the ignition switch from the dreadful fork neck location to the tank where God intended it to be, so I took that same opportunity to have some fun and attempt to adapt a used FXDC console with a 5" speedo to my Street Bob (I also posted that conversion here on the forum). A fairly simple adaptation, and it worked great. And it was good... for a while.

Finally, due to my unnatural fear of flat tires, I decided she really needed a set of cast wheels instead of the spoked FXDB wheels (allowing me to carry a simple plug kit). After considering a set of FXD wheels and considering it far too easy, I came across a great deal on some FXDF wheels and tires. The rear was a straight bolt-on, but the front wheel wouldn't fit the stock mid-glide trees without fabbing a set of axle spacers, which I wasn't prepared to do, so it was time to go Wide. After finding a deal on a nice used set of FXDF trees, the next challenge was the front brake. The sliders on an FXDB don't quite line up with the position of a brake disc on the FXDF wheel. The obvious option was to swap out the FXDB sliders for a set of FXDF sliders, but then that would also mean fitting a set of dual discs, which would mean purchasing not only a second disc, but also a second caliper, a different brake line, and new master cylinder. Yikes. Too much for my limited budget, so I took the "economy" route, and just used 3 SS washers to space the caliper the tiny bit needed to properly align it with the rotor on the FXDF wheel. This allowed me to reuse my FXDB brake line and master cylinder, and keep the project on a low-budget. Problem solved! Bolted up the front wheel with OEM FXDF axle and spacers, reused the FXDB single disc, re-used my FXDB front fender with some washer spacers and re-shaped mouting tabs, and it was done! And it was good... for a while.

Anyway, I've got it all together now; the pics below show the final result, which I've called my "FXDBF". The obvious first reaction is "you should have just bought a FXDF in the first place and changed the rear fender". Maybe so, but an FXDF wasn't my plan initially, and its been a fun project for me to take this route. Added a few other misc bits along the way, too (FXDF exhaust, HD Speedo/Tach combo, relo'd front signals, SE A/c, sportster XR handlebars). And now it's good... for a while!

Cheers,
Kent

Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I like it, it would be easier to just get the FB but turning yours into something unique is better IMO - you're not likely to see someone pull up next to you on the same bike. I did something similar with my FXDFC, they beauty is you can always add the FB sliders and brake parts later on, collecting a part here and there. One tip - whatch ebay and craigslist for take off touring parts - I used a touriing master cylinder and clutch lever on mine.........it was cheap and I think looks much better than the standard.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really sharp man, and as far as whether you shoulda coulda woulda bought a Fat Bob to start half the fun is in the adventure. All of the vehicles and motorcycles I have owned I've had to modify cause I couldn't resist changing them. Unless your one of those people who is happy with the out of the box product you can't resist trying to improve on what you have and make it more your idea of a kick *** bike.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Really cool ... I've never seen the FXDF wheel look so good ... other disc is always obscuring the view ...

You never can quite tell where your inspiration is going to lead you ... congrats on a great build ... for now ... LoL

r/
Chop

Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah Man, That looks nice. I have to agree with chop, that Fat Bob front wheel really looks nice. I didn't realize how nice they would look without the disc blocking the view. Good Job!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job I really like what you've done. I agree on the FXDF wheels looking good.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 PM
zrx4me
Cruiser

Im a big fan of drag bars.I like what you've done and its a very unique mororcycle now.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not a fan of the fat bob but I think you pulled off something cool. I've seen some guys go from a fat bob to more of a bobber look but not the other way. Cool bike.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
I'm not a fan of the fat bob but I think you pulled off something cool. I've seen some guys go from a fat bob to more of a bobber look but not the other way. Cool bike.
Plus 1, nice job!!!!

Quick Reply: Project "FXDB-F" (pics)