Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Fat Bob... About to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:39 AM
MrPeepers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Fat Bob... About to pull the trigger

I got a test ride scheduled for Friday on a 2013 Fat Bob.

I did an internet search on "fat bob problems" and got a bunch of hits. Most of these are on Fat Bobs for model years 2006-2010 plus a few recalls.

Are these "design problems" or just problems that pop up in individual bikes?

The sales guy said the FB is essentially unchanged from 2012.

I am pretty new to Harleys. But I've owned about a dozen non-HD motorcycles over the years.

So you guys know what's going on. Is there any inherent design problems with the FB ... What about the reliability of that 106 cu in motor in the FB? I'm looking for a reliable, proven bike that I can ride 3K-5K miles per season. With the big motor, cast wheels, fat tires, forward controls, and decent size gas tank, I'm thinking the FB is for me.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPeepers

I did an internet search on "fat bob problems" and got a bunch of hits. Most of these are on Fat Bobs for model years 2006-2010 plus a few recalls.

I am pretty new to Harleys. But I've owned about a dozen non-HD motorcycles over the years.

So you guys know what's going on. Is there any inherent design problems with the FB ... What about the reliability of that 106 cu in motor in the FB? I'm looking for a reliable, proven bike that I can ride 3K-5K miles per season. With the big motor, cast wheels, fat tires, forward controls, and decent size gas tank, I'm thinking the FB is for me.

Thanks
I have a '12 Fat Bob and love it. So far the bike has been stone reliable. There has been one recall which was for the charging system and took all of 5 minute to complete while I waited. I have had the famous Dyna wobble problem which was diagnosed as caused by a combination of alignment, fall away being too loose, and the front tire. All but the front tire were covered under warranty and resolved while I waited. This wobble issue manifests itself in several ways, one is at between 35-45 if you let go of the handle bars the front end will wobble. The next is when the bike is pushed into a downhill increasing radius curve at high speed the bike will attempt to rear steer a bit. This is also corrected with a kit such as the True-Track system which corrects what many feel is a design trait inheirent to the soft mounted engine along with how the engine is mounted to the rear at the swing arm. The True-Track installation made a world of difference on my bike and I ride very hard.
At present I have about 3500 miles on my bike and have done a bunch of mods on it as well including a Road Glide fairing and hard bags. The bike accepts these with ease and is a pleasure to ride.
I tend to ride on longer trips averaging 200-300 miles with a mix of canyon twisties and long back road runs. The freeway rides have been without any displeasures and the ride is stable and comfortable at anywhere between 50-90. The bike has excellent road manners at freeway speeds and handles curves with ease.
Speaking of curves while by no means is this a sport bike it does handle the task well even though in my opinion it is down on power something I am about to change with a cam and tuner upgrade in addition to the intake and exhaust mods I have already done. These are in my opinion part of owning a bike if you tend to really enjoy it and this is true of any bike.
Those who have upgraded the Dunlaps for the Avon Scorpions tell about tremendous improvements in handling as do the Metzler riders. Although both tires yeild less mileage do to their tread softness which is expected from a performance tire, a fair trade off for increase in traction.
In short I would not hesitate to by another Fat Bob if I had to do it again although I personally would look twice at the Road Glide considering the type of riding I am begining to do more of.
I am sure you meant to say the 103 motor since this is the standard not the 106.

Bob

Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Fat Bobs didn't come out till 2008 so I don't know what 2006 problems you are seeing. There are no design flaws or problems with the Fat Bob from any year (unless you don't like the styling). The only recall is the "voluntary" epa emissions (gas cap venting) that affects most HD models 2008 - 2011. Otherwise ride and enjoy.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 AM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 12 in April and it has been 100% reliable at 7k miles. Had the voltage regulator recall done, but it never gave me any problems. I have the True-Track, Progressive 430 shocks and fork springs, each of which made a big difference in handling. Stock is fine if you want a soft riding bar hopper, but it corners so much better with the upgrades.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

103 motor..not 106.
oops....someone beat me to it

Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

30,000 miles and counting on my 2010 and absolutely no issues. Have never had issues with any wobble at any speed and original brake pads still have plenty of meat on them.

My father in law has an 08 Crossbones (Softail) and has replaced rear wheel bearings twice! Also is on his 3rd set of brake pads in the same amount of miles that I have on my Fat Bob. No wonder they stopped making the CB.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
MrPeepers
Cruiser

Thanks you guys...

What about this nonsense from the past on the Dynas...

Stator problems...

and this

"An inner primary bearing replacement is required at 15,000 mile intervals."

It goes on to say, "Harley-Davidson has preliminarily determined the inner primary bearing on your 2006 Dyna motorcycle will require replacement at 15,000 mile intervals. The bearing will be replaced by your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at 15,000 miles and at subsequent 15,000 mile intervals, at no cost to you. This service requirement may change over time as we make improvements and monitor repair trends on 2006 Dyna motorcycles."

Are all these problems well behind us?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM
whitewolf001
Tourer

Originally Posted by MrPeepers

Thanks
Not a 106, 103. Not 06-10, 08 was the first year, GET IT RIGHT ROOK!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM
whitewolf001
Tourer

OP, more than likely the MoCo worked out the problems, I haven't recieved any sort of official notice for my SB but then, the MoCo isn't exactly perfect either, it took them four years to finally do away with the SB Sparto which was causing stress fractures in the rear fender.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Two recalls on my '010 FB - fork spring mismatch and gas cap leakage. I had already replaced my fork springs with a set of Progs, so no problem there. I had already replaced my OEM gas cap with a flush-mount set when that recall was issued just a coupla weeks ago, so need to check with my dealer to see if my bike is included with that recall. Otherwise, the bike has been rock solid, and a whole lot of fun to ride. Good luck!
~

Quick Reply: 2013 Fat Bob... About to pull the trigger