Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview Windshield on Super Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts
Default Clearview Windshield on Super Glide

I picked up a clearview windshield as the detacheable harley shield I got when I purchased the bike creates too much turbulence and buffeting around the head, regardless of how I position the shield up or down on the bars. Also tried the other suggestions I heard here like fork bag, memphis lowers, etc.. The lowers certainly deflected cold air and wind off my legs my did nothing about the turbulence up top.

I decided to go with the clear 20 inch regular windshield without the recurve. I currently have the 18 inch detachable shield with clamps. For reference, I am roughly 6', 185 lbs. The 18 inch turned out to be on the small side, even though when I tried it in the dealer, it came to my nose. When I actually installed it, it was more likl my lower lip.

Luckily, they had the 20 inch in stock, as I hear it can take quite a while to get a new shield if ordered. I talked to the guy on the phone and just ordered online after measuring myself on the bike. I got the shield in about a week. Got it today and had to play with the new toy after work.

The instalation wasn't hard, just a bit tedious and took about 45 minutes. I was expecting the shield to come with the alluminum rail strips already mounted--the ones that accept the detachable clamps. I basically uninstalled the hardware on the exisiting shield and installed it on the new, per the instructions. Everything lined up OK. Quality control in this regards seems good.

The shield itself is thicker than the Harley shield--almost twice as thick. No imperfections that I could see. The only thing that was a bit weird was that the shield was wrapped in protective plastic and instructions said Stop--Inspect for imperfections before removing. Unfortunately, it is hard to inspect it as the plastic is a bit bunched up and it would be kind of hard to see any imperfections, outside major cracks etc..Outside of that, I just made sure the hardware lined up before removing the plastic just to make sure the shield would fit. I didn't bother testing it with the plastic on. According to the directions, you cannot return it once the plastic material is removed.

After instalation, everything lined up perfectly on the forks. The sheild is roughly 2-3 inches wider on each side than the Harley shield. It also is taller and has a different profile. It wraps a bit more, where the Harley shield is more of a straight but curved profile.

I took the bike out for some errands and made sure to hit the highway on the way home, as this was where I have the most trouble. Just heading out on the Blvds, I immediately noticed that there was much less wind. At around 35 MPH, there were only some light swirls around the edges. Hitting a Blvd that was 50 MPH, there was no buffeting and a bit more swirl, but nothing compared to the Harley shield. At 70 on the highway, the buffering and turbulence was much improved. Not gone completely, as there is still somewhat of a turbulent edge effect, but I can live with this. There is none of the head-boxing going on and it doesn't feel like my helmet is going to vibrate off my head. I don't get that noise or sensation you do when you just crack the windows on your car at speed.

The only negatives I can offer are subtle. There seems to be more glare with the Clearview model I have. I attribute this to the thickness and the profile. Right about chin level there is kind of a rainbow effect when headlights hit the shield. I was riding right at dusk here about 1/2 hour ago. t is nothing that would be a deal breaker for anyone but it is not something that is present on my Harley shield.

I think this shield will work for the colder months coming up. It does a pretty good job of keeping the wind off of my chest and face and turbulence and buffeting effects are vastly improved over the harley shield.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by guenther

It was dark when I got back. I am actually making a video with my GoPro camera. I am going to post a video review of my bike. I am putting all the scenes together. I will include the clearview shield comments and such. I will try and take a few photos tomorrow after work. I usually ride the bike every day when I get home. As far as looks, it actually compliments the bike nicely, IMO. Some shields look too big or too small. The 20 inch is proportioned well to the bike, IMO. It actually gives the bike a beefier look to it from all sides. I don't think much about aesthetics when buying a windshield, but it did work out nicely in that regards.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 10-09-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
katrina05
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see your review. I ordered a 23" light grey recurve yesterday. Not in stock so we'll see how long it takes.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Clearview recurve on my Batwing fairing. There is a slight visual distortion right at the point
that the recurve occurs, but it's really a darn good windshield. Mine is about 15" above the Batwing so that
I always look through it. Depending on crosswinds, I can ride up to 70-75mph with my faceshield up although
I still get good, but not turbulent, airflow around it.