Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tall guys feel like the Street Bob is a bit small for them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:55 AM
AMF91
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I can't find how to post a new one. Just a background I'm 25 years old, 5'10 and 180lbs. I'm in no way a large guy nor a small guy. I bought my first harley at 21 years of age (2012 Iron 883) loved the bike... Fit well, still does... But yes it is small. I sold it a few years ago and I'm ready for something new and.. well.. bigger. I've been weighing what bike I want next pretty heavily. I love American made bikes and they have to be a v-twin. I've looked at buells, victories, harleys, and even some jap bikes that are appealing but yet the sound is not fulfilling and they have that cheap look to them. Just today I decided since I'm getting a whopping tax return back its time to get a motorcycle. I've been weighing between victory and harley. Specifically... the Street bob and the Highball. I sat on both today... and unfortunatley the street bob felt tiny to me... The tank feels puny under me and sits at an awkward angle. The ape hangers sit in a weird position and make me feel like I'm riding a bicycle. The mid controls are disappointing as well.. Overall I was really underwhelmed by the Street Bob and other models of Harley... The only models that felt good to me were the the big and girthy models of the Fatbob and both vrods... Which are pricey. But I'm wanting more of "non roadster" style cruiser. I sat on the victory highball right after trying the harley's and it felt bold. It felt big. It felt like a machine rather than a bicycle... I'm really disappointed in this since I love harley. I love the history and the sound... But the bikes just feel... Tiny.

Last edited by AMF91; 02-11-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:22 AM
rrcap2001
Cruiser

The bars can be moved with an allan wrench. The mids are there for control, think sport bike. The tank can be lifted for $50. I've learned from owning many bikes, you will spend money to make it yours, whether it's for looks, comfort, or performance.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:01 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Sounds like you should buy the Victory.

I'm 6'1" and 240. They all seem small to me, but I ain't fussin' or losin' sleep over it.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 AM
rowo
Intermediate

I am 6.1 with a 34 inseam, and had the very same experience with my two Dynas that I ride since 21 years - a 95 Super Glide way back when (well, starting in 95), and my current 2007 Street Bob.

With the mids and that ridiculous mini ape, I felt very cramped and not relaxed at all, and on both bikes I did the same changes - get a LePera seat, install extended forwards (the extension is not seen in the older SB photo), and change the handlebar to a drag bar.

With the Street Bob I will change the slammer bar to a regular drag bar with straight risers to remove the pull back. Why a tall guy wants that (which I read a lot here on HDF) is beyond me.

Have a look at my gallery to see both bikes - after the modifications the Dyna doesn't feel small at all and you have the feeling of sitting "in" the bike, compared to "on top of" with a touring bike. Too bad that you can't get this from the factory, even though the Street Bob SE that is sold outside the US goes into the right direction.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lumper
I am 6'2" and I dont fit on any Harleys.
Yup.

I don't really fit any HD very well without making some adjustments.

I bought a WG in December. The forward controls could be forward about two more inches, but an engine guard and pegs fixed that.

whatever us tall folk get, we are going to have to make some changes to. the money "saved" on a SB can be applied to fixes for height, but the forward controls alone are a big improvement.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:18 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AMF91
I know this is an old thread but I can't find how to post a new one. Just a background I'm 25 years old, 5'10 and 180lbs. I'm in no way a large guy nor a small guy. I bought my first harley at 21 years of age (2012 Iron 883) loved the bike... Fit well, still does... But yes it is small. I sold it a few years ago and I'm ready for something new and.. well.. bigger. I've been weighing what bike I want next pretty heavily. I love American made bikes and they have to be a v-twin. I've looked at buells, victories, harleys, and even some jap bikes that are appealing but yet the sound is not fulfilling and they have that cheap look to them. Just today I decided since I'm getting a whopping tax return back its time to get a motorcycle. I've been weighing between victory and harley. Specifically... the Street bob and the Highball. I sat on both today... and unfortunatley the street bob felt tiny to me... The tank feels puny under me and sits at an awkward angle. The ape hangers sit in a weird position and make me feel like I'm riding a bicycle. The mid controls are disappointing as well.. Overall I was really underwhelmed by the Street Bob and other models of Harley... The only models that felt good to me were the the big and girthy models of the Fatbob and both vrods... Which are pricey. But I'm wanting more of "non roadster" style cruiser. I sat on the victory highball right after trying the harley's and it felt bold. It felt big. It felt like a machine rather than a bicycle... I'm really disappointed in this since I love harley. I love the history and the sound... But the bikes just feel... Tiny.

Opposite for me. I think it's because you rode a 109R, those things are beastly!

I come from the sportbike world, with the street bob I find it's perfect for my 5'10 height and 180lb frame. Mids are awesome because I like the extra feel when it comes to handling (again, partly because I'm used to the sport bike world). For me, I wouldn't go any bigger than a Street Bob for my size, the bike feels big enough as a comfy cruiser and stature and also handles decently for a boat.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:08 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

You already have your answer, like YammyDrummer said; go get the Vic.
You need to buy what you like not what someone else recommends..........