Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE pro tuner for V&H pipes and a high flow intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SE pro tuner for V&H pipes and a high flow intake?

Buddy at dealership I'm buying my 2012 fat bob from is saying the SE pro tuner is the way to go for stage I. I want to immediately put on V&H big shots and I'm undecided on air intake. Something round and low profile so my knee doesn't hit.

He said he's had multiple tuners on his personal bike and one issue with a piggy back like a PCIII is that if the PCIII craps out- it can take out the factory ECU at the same time, costing $$$.

He likes the pro tuner and says they can flash it right away for a rough stage I (pipes/intake) and after the bike is well broken in (only has 282 miles on it) they can dyno tune it to pick up and extra 7-9 ft/lbs of torque.

Since they have a dyno and are close to me, sounds like a winning combo.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On average, yes, the PCs do tend to crap out more than the tuners that leave nothing behind, like the SEPST. Never heard of one taking the ECU with it too but I'm sure its possible.

Picking a tuner is not just about what is the "best" tuner. A chunk is about the support you want and can get. If these are the guys you want to work on the bike and its what they are happy with then that swings the decision their way.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 AM
zimm
Road Captain

Actually, I'd rather do my own work and never have it go back to the dealer. So maybe a PCIII and a canned tune would be better? I don't need max HP, just a nice ride with stage I for now.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah a good choice. I did the same thing with mine put the SEPST in it and had it dynoed with a highflow a/c from fuelmoto. Dynoed at little over 77 hp and 89 ft.lb tq. Service tech at HD told me if I went with the SE heavy breather I could pick up additional hp and tq. So I did just that it dynoed at 81.12 hp and 95.44 tq. Not a bad pick up for a a/c. Not only that it swings forward away from your leg, mine doesn't even touch the a/c.

Last edited by Jeff's 1st Harley; 10-22-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Wykd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta remember the dealership will always push their product over someone else stuff.

ie: I put a V&H straight shot & Arlen Ness Big Sucka air cleaner on and a fuelpak on my 2013 street bob, and my friend who works @ the dealer was like bro you need our mapping and dyno tune not the fuelpak for that. Their SE tuner and new download & mapping and dyno tune was going to set me back 700ish. Not to mention that the SE tuner for the 2013 is not out yet even per their service book.

In the end i saved myself 500ish and the bike runs just fine and minimal pop on decel with the fuelpak tune dialed in as displayed on their site. Would it run better maybe so but i dont race the bike and or notice the loss of power to roll the dice and drop 500.00 to see.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm
Buddy at dealership I'm buying my 2012 fat bob from is saying the SE pro tuner is the way to go for stage I. I want to immediately put on V&H big shots and I'm undecided on air intake. Something round and low profile so my knee doesn't hit.

He said he's had multiple tuners on his personal bike and one issue with a piggy back like a PCIII is that if the PCIII craps out- it can take out the factory ECU at the same time, costing $$$.

He likes the pro tuner and says they can flash it right away for a rough stage I (pipes/intake) and after the bike is well broken in (only has 282 miles on it) they can dyno tune it to pick up and extra 7-9 ft/lbs of torque.

Since they have a dyno and are close to me, sounds like a winning combo.
I agree, the SE Pro Super Tuner with a dyno tune after break in is definitely a good combo. That is what I did with mine. Having that tuner also will allow you to do any future mods without having to buy a different tuner. Piggy back tuners are problematic. Go with this or the TTS Mastertune & you won't be disappointed.
With the stage 1 with the SEPST and dyno tune I gained 10hp/10tq. I have the SE stage 1 breather & V&H slip-ons. If I put a V&H Pro Pipe on and have it dyno tuned again with that exhaust, I expect to gain another 5/5. Don't make the mistake I did and just get slip-ons...get a full system from the beginning, preferably a 2-1 system if you're looking for performance. The V&H Pro Pipe is second to none IMO.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wykd
. Not to mention that the SE tuner for the 2013 is not out yet even per their service book.
I'm not sure why your service book doesn't show the 2013. But I copied this straight from my tuner software.

"Version 6.000.0006 Software is a 2013 Model Year update which includes the following:"

Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the seprt and a set of big shots with a big air sucker and for me it's was the only way to go. Was not to keen on the idea of a piggy back tuner that can go bad. Yes the seprt was way more expensive but in my opinion was worth every penny.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM
desertrat702
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get the pro tuner you could get the cables and software and do it your self. Another option is the dynojet powervision it's a flash tuner just like the pro tuner no piggy back.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
zimm
Road Captain

OH, I didn't know the powervision was a flash tuner... I need to reserach that vs. the pro tuner w/ cables and software.

Quick Reply: SE pro tuner for V&H pipes and a high flow intake?