Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade Motor or Turbo Charge

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Ragingcajun
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade Motor or Turbo Charge

Hi guys,
I'm looking at adding more Hp and was wondering do I spend the money on new cams and jugs or turbo charge the engine. I was looking add buying one of Jim's 131 motors but wasn't sure I would still be able to take it on the interstate. If I turbo charge it will the stock piston and cylinder hold up? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Panimal
Cruiser

Subscribed... I've been reading up on turbo charging my Wideglide with a Pro Charger.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by Panimal
Subscribed... I've been reading up on turbo charging my Wideglide with a Pro Charger.
LOL man a Pro Charger is not a turbo, it is a centrifugal supercharger. I think you were referring to boosting your motor vs. turbo charging if you plan on going with a Pro Charger. A turbo charger is a whole differant boost system (ie Trask system for our bikes). Turbo's run off of exhaust gas and supercharger (roots/centrifugal) run off a belt.

OP talk to Drago's bike works on here, he can get you a good deal and has lots of info to share.

Last edited by Gringoloco13; 10-27-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Panimal
Cruiser

Haha, yeah I know the difference, I just typed the wrong words. Sorry man, just woke up.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Haha, yeah I know the difference, I just typed the wrong words. Sorry man, just woke up.
No worries, I knew what you meant and figured you knew what you were talking about.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Panimal
Cruiser

Do you know of anyone that has a supercharger or turbocharger that you have talked to, or heard running? I've been around several on cars but I'd like to know feedback on personal experiences on bikes. I haven't talked to anyone that has one on a bike.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Do you know of anyone that has a supercharger or turbocharger that you have talked to, or heard running? I've been around several on cars but I'd like to know feedback on personal experiences on bikes. I haven't talked to anyone that has one on a bike.
I rode a buddies turbo busa before and it was just stupid fast with the front end up every gear as soon as you laid on it. But never been on a Harley with one, there are several threads around the forums with either a Trask system or Procharger. Check out the boosted section (blowers/turbos/nitrous) and look for the owners that have one and talk to them. There are alot more Pro Charger owners from what I have seen.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Panimal
Cruiser

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks

Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Fishyhead
2nd Gear

Respect that I am new around here and been out of the racket for 10+ years.

That being said, I do have experience with supercharged HD motors on the dragstrip. Including using Nitrous Oxide with supercharging.

Before going to SC or turbo I would strongly suggest one really ask themselves what they want to get out of it and how they intend to use it. If you're really wanting to twist the throttle hard then the next thing imo that I would consider and probably the most important, is how am I going to upgrade the handling? If you're on a stock HD frame and you really plan on twisting the throttle, you're probably going to see a **** ton of frame flex and twist. Softail models will be the worst. Anything with stock springs/shocks (front/rear) will be really bad as well. Certainly the amount of boost is going to play a part, and the wrist of the rider. But be forewarned handling improvements will be a serious desire. Otherwise you might just find your face planted on the asphalt.

If you just want to look awesome different, rarely hit the throttle hard, and want the ego boost but can maintain the discipline to not hammer it, use more roll on techniques, the SC can be forgiving properly tuned.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 370 Posts

for that money you could buy a 2000-2004 hayabusa and still have more hp than what you are trying to build. better handling and brakes too.
ou would be spending just as much money on breaks and suspension as the turbo kit if y
you wanted a bike to handle like it should using a harley format

either way. if you got 5k to blow. then get a turbo and giggle down the road every day

Quick Reply: Upgrade Motor or Turbo Charge