Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM
scriv
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDF Tires

Riders, I am confused about what to do when replacing tires. The rear obviously will need it first. I like Metzeler 880's. The rear of the specified size is a radial. Something tells me I should not mix radials and bias plys but the Metz website does not state that the replacement front is one or the other.
I see my possibles as mixing the Me880 radial rear with the stock front (option #1) Replacing both with radials at the same time (#2), or put a 180/65B16 on the back until they both need replacing(#3).
My only issue with #3 is that it will throw the speedo off and look like I am racking up miles quicker than I really am. Not being a mathematical genius I don't have a way to quantify how big of a deal this really is.
I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Old 11-11-2012, 12:55 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using the stock dunlop FB tires since the beginning and was kinda happy to replace them at lop-sided intervals since we always get a few more thousand out of the front, but at my next tire change they will both be due at the same time and i am going to go with michelin commander II, which are composite tires, just to see how they feel and if they last any longer. They are made with a harder gum in the middle where we do 95% of our riding and are softer on the outside for those low turns. Any other tires are just going to **** me off because they won't last as long, despite the safety of the added traction....... MY 2 CENTS

Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gonna try the Michelin Commanders next. Tried MetZeler 880 and the rear lasted 7000 miles which pissed me off. The handling was no different for my style of riding with the Metzelers or Dunlops. The front MetZeler is still going strong and plenty of meat left after 12,000 miles however.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM
18wheels
Cruiser

I've tried Dunlop's and Metz's and Avons and have to say I get more miles with the Avons than any I've tried. I put a Avon Storm 2 Ultra on the back last year and have 11,000 on it and maybe another 1000 before replacing it. The only problem I ran into was the lower profile Avon which was a 190/50-17 size. The 50 series threw my speedo off by about 7mph, which was no big problem for me.. My replacement tire this time is a 180/55-17. a little narrower and a little taller tire, but I expect to get just as many miles outta this tire.. Avons are good looking and grip great on flat and winding roads. I think the harder compount in the center is the key to more miles than the metz's.I'm sticking with Avons on my ride...

Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM
scriv
Novice

Yep there's the rub. I checked the Michelin website, and as expected the fitment charts don't list the FXDF. Odd bike to get tires for. Kinda why I listed the three options i did. If you opt for a 180/65 instead of the 180/70 that Harley calls for it automatically looks like the tire you chose is better because you are turning the odo over faster even though you have traveled the same distance in reality. Keep 'em coming, good stuff to think about. Thanks

As an additional note I used the interactive fitment feature on Metzelers' website. They suggested a bias front tire and a Radial rear. Sized the same as recommended by Harley. That seem odd?

Last edited by scriv; 11-11-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
motorcycle
Advanced

2008 fatb0b, they are an odd size tire to find matching sets for
some reason, i run metzlers, nice tire, but hes right, only get one summer out of rear, 7 to 8k, figure one new tire every winter,
priceless

Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Avon cobra radials f&r in 150 and 200 respectively. Show little wear with 5000 miles and couldn't be happier with the ride and grip
Just another option....

Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the avon cobra, they out perform the stock tires by a long shot and look bad ***. The bigger tires fill out the rear nicely.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I really like the unique tread pattern of the OEM Fatbob tire. It adds to the look of the bike. I will replace with OEM as it is also a decent quality tire.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Drifter471
Cruiser

I agree with Shaved Ice. i also like the stock tires on the Fat Bob. The tread design has worked exceptionally well in the south Texas weather and even worked great in Wyoming when i got caught in a snow storm that was scary.

Quick Reply: FXDF Tires