Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions re: changing handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
machm1969
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions re: changing handlebars

I bought a set of street slammers for my '07 WG that should be here this weekend. I've done some reading on changing them, but I still have a few questions.

Do I have to completely remove the tank, or can I just prop it up a little?

Does anyone have pics of the wire connectors under the tank? Are the turn signals on seperate connectors?

Are the wires the same color on both sides of the connector? (Can I use the connector that I'm not removing the wires from as reference as to where to put the wires back).

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Old 11-16-2012, 03:09 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

You should be able to unbolt the tank and unbolt the upper engine mount from the frame. That should give you enough room to slide the tank back without having to remove the crossover hose. BIG WARNING: Before moving the tank, disconnect tthe fuel line from the tank to the fuel injectors! As me how I know they can break... lol

Turn signals are their own harness, andbthe shoulf be on their own connector. It should be a 3 wire loom on each side.

If you have a smartphone, take pics of every connector you need to disassemble. Easy to look at a pic to remember where to put it. As an added insurance, draw your own diagram. Don't forget to label your diagram to note whether your looking at the wire location from the front or backside of the connector.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some connector pics here in this picasa album.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM
machm1969
Tourer

Thanks guys! Without looking at it yet, what do I have to do to disconnect the fuel line from the tank (or the injectors)? I have a good digital camera to take pics for future reference, I'll also post some here to help others. I was also thinking of getting a set of sharpie markers and marking the connecters with the corresponding wire color. I'm also hoping the wire colors will be the same on each side of the connecter?

Thanks for the hlp guys, I appreciate it!

Matt

Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Eroz
Intermediate

The wires are color coded for you. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM
HDCustomFabrication
Banned

There is no need to unbolt the tank at all on an 07, you can get to the wires through the removable cover under the tank. Even if you unbolt the tank front and rear, there is no reason at all to unbolt the motor mount or disconnect the crossover line.

As others said, the connectors should be no problem if they are stock, same colors both ends, so if you do not wish to write it all down or take pictures before you disassemble, you can just match colors with the other half of the connector.

Just take your time taking the connectors apart so you do not damage anything and you will be fine.

Put a thick towel over your tank to prevent scratching it when you are working on the bars.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 AM
machm1969
Tourer

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks guys!

Matt

Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 AM
markeejay
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If only I knew this 4 years ago, when I cut my loom to change the bars - should have done my research properly - live and learn!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM
machm1969
Tourer

Looks like I'm going to have to at least lift the tank. I took out the big rubber grommets in the neck hoping the connextors would be right behind there with a little slack. Turns out the connectors are farther down under the tank and above the rocker cover. I can feel them, but can't get good enough access to disconnect.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 AM
HDCustomFabrication
Banned

There is an access panel under the frame tube you can remove, it looks like part of the frame.

Part number 24 in the pic

Last edited by HDCustomFabrication; 11-18-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: A few questions re: changing handlebars