Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking apart fxdx legs for powder???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ya sorry about that, those are the Showa cartridge forks... i have done many many sets! in the pic of them not assembled you can see the hole for the lower damper adjustment
I was hoping you would say you could do these fork legs for me. I just cant see the preload adjuster on the top of the legs in those pics.

And the list of "Parts to take to Joe" continues to grow.

So is it OK if I bring you new fork bushings, seals, and Race Tech springs for install since they are gonna be torn down at your place for powder?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrug
What's the difference in the FXDX and an FXD. I'm preparing to powdercoat the 39mm sliders on my '04 FXD. My Clymer service manual ($22 on Amazon; Score!) should be here next week. I replaced my 06 Wide Glide sliders, seals, oil, in a few hours with no issues. I'm wondering if there are gotchas in my FXD.
Completely different set-up:

'04 FXDX/I front fork parts diagram

'04 FXD front fork parts diagram

Taking apart your FXD sliders isn't that hard to do. Check out the videos in this thread (post # 3):

***Dyna Models & General Service Video Link Index***

Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Shrug
...I'm wondering if there are gotchas in my FXD...
You'll need a 6mm hex allen head driver for the allen head screws that hold the damper tube (item # 16 in this diagram)

Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

parts eater... on the FXDX/T cartridge Showas, the cartridge portion does not have to be completely torn down, that is why i am able to keep the costs low on the fresh rebuilds with seals and fluids... if you have the Non-cartridge style forks i can swap springs free when i do the forks as that is just a simple change when assembling. I do it all the time... Please shoot me a PM for price quotes if you need them, more than happy to assist you!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks FXD2003Rider! I watched that video last week. Glad to know it applies. I'll pick up the 6mm hex head. It'll go nicely with the 12mm I have for my Roadie forks.

When I did my 06 FXWGI, I found it easier to secure the bike to a lift and leave the forks in the trees. I left the front fender on to keep the sliders from spinning when I loosened the damper screws. I removed the fender once the screws were broken loose.

I'm waiting on some parts to arrive to send out to powdercoat with others I want blackened. Once all the goodies are in, I'll yank the forks.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Some more hints:

1. The fork cap is metric size (35mm 6-point socket). Before you loosen the caps first loosen the upper fork bracket pinch bolt.

2. I doubt if you'll be able to remove the front wheel without first taking off the front fender. At my '03 FXD (with Avon front tire) there's too little space in between the l/h and r/h fender fork nuts and bolt ends to let the tire pass. Deflating the tire might help as well; didn't try that before though.

3. If removed both at the time, mark the tube assemblies (R & L).

Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Let the air out of the tire and it will come out without removing the fender. As far as the oil I want to say we put 11.9 oz in each one of my fork legs. In the manual it does not have a specified amount of oil for these forks, at least not that i could find.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
parts eater... on the FXDX/T cartridge Showas, the cartridge portion does not have to be completely torn down, that is why i am able to keep the costs low on the fresh rebuilds with seals and fluids... if you have the Non-cartridge style forks i can swap springs free when i do the forks as that is just a simple change when assembling. I do it all the time... Please shoot me a PM for price quotes if you need them, more than happy to assist you!

while we are on the subject of powder coating FXDX/T stuff.

Does the lower steer stem bearing come off easily or is it pressed on the stem like a Jap bike? I want to Powder Coat my triple clamps and need to know if a new lower bearing needs to be purchased.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Fxdxt-I
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a few pages from the manual online. It looks like the bearings stay in the neck on the frame. Pm me your email and I could send you the pdf file.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

no need to remove that to powder the trees... we shave them before powder though

Quick Reply: Taking apart fxdx legs for powder???