Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation when first starting in morning

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Hesitation when first starting in morning

Each morning when I start, there is a hesitation before the starter turns over the engine. I tried to work clutch lever several times before starting , but it did not help. Bike is only 7 months old, so I am hoping the battery is not the problem( street bob 2013). Once it warms up, restarting no problem. Maybe the hesitation is normal upon first start. I made sure the battery cables are tight. I always start in neutral. Engine oil 20-50 amsoil.
Any ideas? Starter? Battery?
Thanks,
Roger

Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 AM
boosting1bar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happens on my 14 FXDF. My 48 did the same thing too.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

High compression, maybe. when I got a 103 kit she got harder to turn over and now with the 107 if I don't remember to use the comp releases forget it! Just take it in and have the batery checked, yours is still under warranty.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My SB does that aswell... its a big engine was my guess..

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

It's not the oil. Get you a Harley maintenance charger. My guess is you need to be sure there is no corrosion and the retightened cables with the maintenance charger leads on.. The lights on it will show pretty good the condition of the battery. Charge a good 24 hours. If that does not fix it, charge it 24 hours, pull battery and have it load tested on a good machine at AutoZone or local Harley Store free. Then get you a Harbour Freight or good AC/DC/volt ohm meter. This stuff is as simple as breathing when you have correct tools (no more then $20). for reference.....After a good 24 hour low amp controlled charge and the battery has set about 2 hours voltage should be about 12.8 volts.

12.8 = full charged

12.6 = 75%

12.3 = 50%

12.0 =25%

With a DC volt meter hooked across the battery terminals and reading 12.8 or so, crank motor and while its cranking it should not drop below about 9.6 volts and as soon as it starts and throttled up to 2000 rpm or so should read around 14.8 volts. The crank check shows a rough check of the reserve amperage capacity of the battery while cranking with a 150-200 amp load on it. The 14.8 shows a good alternator and if you leave it on a while as the regulatory will drop the voltage a little showing itself working. However, with the lights and stuff always on it will never drop back much.
When a battery wears out a good charge will show fairly good voltage, but the battery can still have very low amperage capacity which will show in the crude crank test above, but it really should be checked after a good charge by removing it from bike and getting a free check at a place like AutoZone that has a fancy load meter check that gives you a print out of the battery health. Battery MUST BE CHARGED to check it. Be sure they set their meter to correct cold cranking amperage stated on the battery. Never charge the AGM absorbed glass mat battery with a regular car battery charger. Also by taking battery out you know you have good connections. Vibration tends to loosen the connections or a little corrosion will prevent charging or cause starting problems. Using the maintenance charger can get 5 years from a battery but be careful here. You do not want the last start 5 miles from home. If it still grunts when you first hit starter or kicks back, replace it. After a few years, charge and pull battery and have it checked for cold cranking amperage ever spring. If they have one, Wal-Mart's AGM absorbed glass mat battery is just as good as any one's for half the money. Do not jump, push start or run bike with a half dead battery. It will kill alternator stator or the voltage regulator or both. Probably a $500 repair.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-11-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do like Maddghost said, take it in and have the battery checked. Mine was just a year and a half old when I went to the 103 big bore modification and the battery didn't last much longer after that.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff's 1st Harley
I would do like Maddghost said, take it in and have the battery checked. Mine was just a year and a half old when I went to the 103 big bore modification and the battery didn't last much longer after that.
Plus it's really tough on the starter clutch (bendix)

Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 736 Posts

A second cup of coffee makes my morning hesitation go away. Chalk it us as one of the idiosyncrasy of that marvelous invention ... EFI. My 07 SB stopped doing that ... after I converted to a carb. You did not mention what the temps were in your area. Keep it on a Battery Tender, which might help out a bit.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It's not the oil. Get you a Harley maintenance charger. My guess is you need to be sure there is no corrosion and the retightened cables with the maintenance charger leads on.. The lights on it will show pretty good the condition of the battery. Charge a good 24 hours. If that does not fix it, charge it 24 hours, pull battery and have it load tested on a good machine at AutoZone or local Harley Store free. Then get you a Harbour Freight or good AC/DC/volt ohm meter. This stuff is as simple as breathing when you have correct tools (no more then $20). for reference.....After a good 24 hour low amp controlled charge and the battery has set about 2 hours voltage should be about 12.8 volts.

12.8 = full charged

12.6 = 75%

12.3 = 50%

12.0 =25%

With a DC volt meter hooked across the battery terminals and reading 12.8 or so, crank motor and while its cranking it should not drop below about 9.6 volts and as soon as it starts and throttled up to 2000 rpm or so should read around 14.8 volts. The crank check shows a rough check of the reserve amperage capacity of the battery while cranking with a 150-200 amp load on it. The 14.8 shows a good alternator and if you leave it on a while as the regulatory will drop the voltage a little showing itself working. However, with the lights and stuff always on it will never drop back much.
When a battery wears out a good charge will show fairly good voltage, but the battery can still have very low amperage capacity which will show in the crude crank test above, but it really should be checked after a good charge by removing it from bike and getting a free check at a place like AutoZone that has a fancy load meter check that gives you a print out of the battery health. Battery MUST BE CHARGED to check it. Be sure they set their meter to correct cold cranking amperage stated on the battery. Never charge the AGM absorbed glass mat battery with a regular car battery charger. Also by taking battery out you know you have good connections. Vibration tends to loosen the connections or a little corrosion will prevent charging or cause starting problems. Using the maintenance charger can get 5 years from a battery but be careful here. You do not want the last start 5 miles from home. If it still grunts when you first hit starter or kicks back, replace it. After a few years, charge and pull battery and have it checked for cold cranking amperage ever spring. If they have one, Wal-Mart's AGM absorbed glass mat battery is just as good as any one's for half the money. Do not jump, push start or run bike with a half dead battery. It will kill alternator stator or the voltage regulator or both. Probably a $500 repair.
Rip and Madd thanks for the advise. Will take it into the dealer to check out.
Roger

Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

They all do that, cold starts after sitting all night, just ride.

Quick Reply: Hesitation when first starting in morning