Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Seat: Which springs are best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 AM
lesplay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Seat: Which springs are best?

So, I'm thinking of going with a springer seat. Any idea which springs are best....vertical or scissor? I know Harley has the scissor but I don't like the way they stick out the back and I feel the vertical has more of that throwback look.....but which works better?

Old 02-22-2014, 12:48 AM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what can I do to have my 2013superglide get a cushy ride like a softtail? Standing just 5'5" tall and 165 lbs.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 AM
lesplay
Cruiser

Anybody up yet?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 AM
mito352003
Advanced

Lesplay, I am looking at a springer seat also and look forward to hearing from others what they prefer. But I have another question to ask. Can a Mustang Wide solo be used with a springer set up? I am just in the investigation faze of this. Thanks

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mito352003
Lesplay, I am looking at a springer seat also and look forward to hearing from others what they prefer. But I have another question to ask. Can a Mustang Wide solo be used with a springer set up? I am just in the investigation faze of this. Thanks
Don't know, Terry...but a good question.....look forward to hearing, as well.

Chris

Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The coil springs look better, but the hairpin springs work better.

I've tried different lengths of both before finally settling on 3.5" hairpin springs.

Coil springs are inherently,.....well, springier. They tend to bounce a few cycles more than you want them to. Coils that are fatter in the middle work better than the straight coils.

The hairpin springs are better at absorbing small bumps without bouncing as much, and they have more travel for absorbing big bumps.

I don't use my spring seat anymore because I changed the style of the bike. It's from Mother Road Customs. I have to say though, it's a very comfortable seat.

Attached Thumbnails Springer Seat: Which springs are best?-image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:25 AM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
The coil springs look better, but the hairpin springs work better.

I've tried different lengths of both before finally settling on 3.5" hairpin springs.

Coil springs are inherently,.....well, springier. They tend to bounce a few cycles more than you want them to. Coils that are fatter in the middle work better than the straight coils.

The hairpin springs are better at absorbing small bumps without bouncing as much, and they have more travel for absorbing big bumps.

I don't use my spring seat anymore because I changed the style of the bike. It's from Mother Road Customs. I have to say though, it's a very comfortable seat.
Thanks, great feedback!! The main reason that I don't care for the hair pin/scissor type is because they stick out the back of the seat. I noticed, however, that some have turned them around backwards to where the spring is underneath the seat. Does that still work well?

Old 02-22-2014, 10:29 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mito352003

A few things to get you in the right direction.

Check out Mother Road Customs
There are many seat manufacturers, but this site shows a lot of variations.
Mine has the added 1" gel option on a 13" x 15" seat. It's easily as comfortable as other fixed seats. The springs make it even more so.

Look at:
Seat size - smaller seats, like the HD version, dig into my inner thighs and became extremely uncomfortable after a short while.
Seat material and added gel. - you don't want. To sit on a metal plate covered in leather. Gel makes a huge difference.
Spring length - read my other post on spring types. Longer hairpin springs worked best for me.

Attached Thumbnails Springer Seat: Which springs are best?-image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
A few things to get you in the right direction.

Check out Mother Road Customs
There are many seat manufacturers, but this site shows a lot of variations.
Mine has the added 1" gel option on a 13" x 15" seat. It's easily as comfortable as other fixed seats. The springs make it even more so.

Look at:
Seat size - smaller seats, like the HD version, dig into my inner thighs and became extremely uncomfortable after a short while.
Seat material and added gel. - you don't want. To sit on a metal plate covered in leather. Gel makes a huge difference.
Spring length - read my other post on spring types. Longer hairpin springs worked best for me.
What size and weight are you? This will help. Any thoughts on reversing the springs? You say go with the 1" Gel, right?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lesplay
What size and weight are you? This will help. Any thoughts on reversing the springs? You say go with the 1" Gel, right?
I'm 6'2", 215lbs.

I never tried reversing the springs. There's no reason it wouldn't work so long as there is enough space to avoid collapsing the travel on the coil. The stress is still acting between the mount points, so the coil location makes no difference.

I have 1" gel on mine, but I can't speak for your needs.

Quick Reply: Springer Seat: Which springs are best?