Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Street Bob Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
OldSkoolBobber
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Street Bob Electrical Problem

I've change the bars on my bob before and didn't run into any issues. Yesterday I change the upper triple clam and installed 8" voodoo bars. Wiring was a pain and I had to cut the mini connectors on the control side to fish thru the bars as they have a nice right angle in them. One thru I neatly soldered and shrink wrapped everything. Here the problem... With ignition on I have no headlight, tail light "strobes" and speedo flickers. Front turnies are dim and blink. With start button on the fuel pump "clicks. I pulled the wires and checked for breaks and ground issue and don't see anything obvious. Battery is charged and tendered, fuses are good to. Any help would be appreciated

Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If it was working before you did all this, you know where to look. In what you just did. All your connections good and going to the correct places??

Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you'll find most of the flashing stuff is the system telling you that something is not working. In this case, your headlight.

Without being there to test stuff, I'd guess you are missing a ground somewhere. I'd guess its in the right switch housing since the fuel pump and light is acting (not acting) together. (Kill switch area.)

Keep in mind that soldered joint in digital systems can cause resistance that the system might see as a fault.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM
OldSkoolBobber
Stage III

I've checked and double checked everything. Connections are good and correct. My only guess is that I broke a wire somewhere while tugging the wires through the bars, just can't find it.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe a pin was pushed out in a connector, its common in all connectors for a push out

Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
BigJohn75
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue when i did mine as well and all it was, was a pin the came disconnected. just check your connections.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
canadiancruiser
Intermediate

Why didn't you just pull the pins out of the connector anyways probably a short on the ground or not soldered correctly and came apart. Also if you pull apart the connector and get a volt meter put it on ohms and test leads on it should have some resistance if it doesn't that's the wire you need to replace.

Last edited by canadiancruiser; 12-31-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM
OldSkoolBobber
Stage III

I checked all pins. It not the same large Molex connector. Mine are mini and don't seem to come apart. The dealership confirmed that, I guess thats why harley went with em. They slid thru the stock bars without a problem.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd get a VOM and check the connections from the switches to the connector before taking them back apart. Look for ground and voltage where it should be when it should be and go from there.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 AM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master

I had similar problem on my 06 and it ended up being the battery in the key fob was bad . It made it act all weird similar to yours. .. Might not be the same problem but it happened after a bar swap. It would be worth the trouble to swap out the battery just to be sure.

Quick Reply: 2012 Street Bob Electrical Problem