Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you plan on getting a touring bike eventually?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do you plan on getting a touring bike eventually?

Or are you happy with the lighter and sleeker Dyna and will make it work for longer rides?

I traded my Road King for a Dyna Wide Glide because I wanted a lighter, faster and more nimble bike and also love the way the Wide Glide looks. I'm happy with the Dyna, but have already made additions to it that will make it better for long distance touring. I suppose my ideal situation is to have a Dyna and a Tourer. Maybe I should have bought a Switchback.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Have owned a Street Glide and a Road Glide, the RG I traded for my Dyna. I, like you, wanted a lighter bike, too. The RG actually handled the twisties as well as the Dyna, but just too heavy to park, garage, etc.

I don't really want to go back to a heavy touring model. For long distance, I have an R1200RT, best touring bike I've ever ridden, and it weighs about the same as the Dyna.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 PM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both. I like both.
If one had to go...I'd keep the Tour.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master

I have an '06 Superglide (FXDi) now and, have no plans of "letting it go". However, hindesight being 20-20, if I had to do it all over....I'd have been riding an '07 or newer Road King Classic now.

I plan on getting a RKC soon. but I'm keeping the Superglide. They're just too darn much fun of a ride to think about getting rid of.

Just my $0.02

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt that I'll ever move into a dedicated "tourer". I've adapted my 2009 FXDC for solo long-distance traveling
needs without compromising its basic "sporting-cruiser" nature.

I'd never heard of the earlier "convertible" Dyna when I started setting up my bike, but I sorta reinvented it
independently by the time I had mine done.

It goes from pic 1 to pic 2 in about 5 minutes and reverts back in even less time. The small bag on the rear is kept
almost empty so that I can shove jacket, chaps, gloves, etc. in it when stopping to wander about somewhere.
The side pockets contain pull-over rain covers for all the bags plus small odd-and-ends. The top pocket in the
lid holds my rain gear.

The large bag is usually no more than 2/3 full with changes of clothes, walking shoes, cameras, personal gear, etc.
Its side pockets hold bungie cords, carabiners, straps, etc. that I may need to grab in a hurry as well as a couple small
water bottles (I usually wear a Camelback and refill it at gas stops).

The saddlebags are Tourmaster Extra Large throw-overs converted to clip-ons with Edge brackets. The right one
holds tools, oil and cleaning supplies that are not affected by the exhaust heat. The left one hold miscellaneous junk
and is often near empty.

The total cost for this adaptation is probably less than $800.. certainly no more than $1,000 and gives me an excellent
solo capability.

FWIW..

(EDIT: for those doing the math, yes, the total volume of those bags is usually no more than half full on most trips. It
would be easy enough to ditch the small rear bag, move the large square bag to the rear, and then carry a passenger.)

Last edited by Mike Horrell; 01-01-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I'm saving up for a touring bike about the only recreational riding I do anymore is two up and the Dyna just isn't comfortable to me.It'll be awhile so I'm doing allot of research and tire kicking.I like the Goldwing as well as the Electraglide Ultra and the big Bmw as well.Passenger comfort will be a major consideration.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I considered the road king classic, I love the look of that bike...but unless I could have both, I'm keeping the dyna and am determined to dial in the suspension to make it even more comfy.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd love to have a Street Glide, but will never get rid of my Street Bob. Maybe one day I will have both...

Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both. I love the Dyna but wanted something which my wife was comfortable on for long hauls. She knew I'd never sell the Dyna and I made sure I kept the Badlander saddle on it, after a few years she caved in and suggested we buy a bagger as well. Couldn't be without the Dyna.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 PM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt I would like to get a Road Glide and have it eventually. I think everyone should have a touring bike and a around town bike. Dyna fits that category perfect. I do love my Dyna and have no problems riding it a few hundred miles a day. Still I want a Road Glide.

Quick Reply: Do you plan on getting a touring bike eventually?