Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch cable input needed. Getting rid of burly junk

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
chopNdrop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch cable input needed. Getting rid of burly junk

So I have this giant, POS burly cable on my bike the previous owner installed. The day I got the bike I realized how sticky and unsmooth the burly cable was. I got it lubricated pretty well and its a lot better. But there are surface cracks in it already and its gotta be the most unnecessarily long cable ever. Therefore I plan to replace it asap.

Bars are Road6 14" narrow apes, whole cable/wiring is a burly kit for 14" bars. Thats my MAIN problem currently, burly decides to not give you the measurements for their bars and 'match' them to height. I contacted burly and after telling me they dont give out the lengths, they told me the clutch is 75.5", but cant promise that's correct.

I ordered a +6 Barnett(73 3/4") stealth cable, and lined it up with the current cable and it seems to be the same size or very close. Only way to know is to pull the burly off, dont wanna get ahead of myself and be stuck with nothing to ride.

None the less, Im thinking about going with a much shorter cable, i see no reason for it to have that much slack in it.

Barnett also makes a 72 1/2", and a 71". The 71" is only 2.5" longer than stock, but my bars are 4" higher than factory, and ive been told the stock cables have a couple inches in them.

Does this sound like correct thinking to you guys? Youll have to excuse me this is my first harley and I wanna make sure I get it right.

Any reason i couldnt go roughly 3-4" shorter than this burly?:

I plan on doing the swap myself, doesn't seem to hard. However i do have to get ahold of a factory service manual first.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch cable input needed. Getting rid of burly junk-2013-01-03_14-00-14_660_zps132d86d4.jpg  

Last edited by chopNdrop; 01-03-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe 1-2" shorter. 3-4 might not give you enough slack on turning.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Just measure the cable on the bike with a string, what's the big deal?
If you want a cable that's smooth and works see Magnum Cables.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM
chopNdrop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldMike
Just measure the cable on the bike with a string, what's the big deal?
If you want a cable that's smooth and works see Magnum Cables.
Just wanna make sure i can go with a cable thats 2.5" or so longer than the factory cable and still have enough room, was hoping somebody had done it. I know guys are putting 13-14" apes on stock street bob(my model) cables. I figure the 71" cable(2.5" over stock) would be about perfect with maybe a couple inches of play.

Hate the unnecessarily long cables, tired of looking through it while riding. And im not planning to go to 16" apes ever being 5' 7".

Last edited by chopNdrop; 01-03-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by chopNdrop
Just wanna make sure i can go with a cable thats 2.5" or so longer than the factory cable and still have enough room, was hoping somebody had done it. I know guys are putting 13-14" apes on stock street bob(my model) cables. I figure the 71" cable(2.5" over stock) would be about perfect with maybe a couple inches of play.

Hate the unnecessarily long cables, tired of looking through it while driving. And im not planning to go to 16" apes ever being 5' 7".
Not everybody has the same idea of what looks good as far as length. I used existing cables on my bike but disconnected the clutch at the lever and moved the cable around to see what length I liked then measured from that point. Asking for a length on the forum will get you different suggestions, so maybe you're better off doing it yourself.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you can easy got 2-3 in shorter... or go hydo and really cut down on the size!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM
chopNdrop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldMike
Not everybody has the same idea of what looks good as far as length. I used existing cables on my bike but disconnected the clutch at the lever and moved the cable around to see what length I liked then measured from that point. Asking for a length on the forum will get you different suggestions, so maybe you're better off doing it yourself.

Good luck,
Mike
Your right about that. Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer

Magnum shielding. I ordered 14's and prob going +2. I'm going to measure it when bars get in.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
chopNdrop
Cruiser

So the magnums are worth the extra wait/money? Ive read a couple saying theyre rusting under the coating. Worries me because i live in a very humid area. The black pearl cables look really nice though.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer

Um. Never had them. They cost more than burly but still cheaper than hd

Quick Reply: Clutch cable input needed. Getting rid of burly junk