Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointing paint issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Disappointing paint issue

This one puts me off.

When I picked up my new bike on December 15th, there was a small paint defect on the rear fender. It was clearly a factory issue. It was a 1/2" long sag right under and behind the right fender strut.

The shop agreed to have the issue fixed by their local paint shop over the holidays while I was out of town. They had to replace the faulty security system anyway. Plus, I wanted the HD LED mirrors installed so I could dump the turn signals. The guys researched it and assured me the mirrors would work without additional turn signals. Last Friday they call and tell me they can't get them to work without and additional signal. So, I spent another $125 toad some small LED signals to equalize the load.

The signal issue was a minor annoyance because they told me they would work ($269) and I had to add another $125. OK, annoying, but I can deal with it.

The bike was supposed to be ready on the 2nd. It wasn't. They told me the painter still had the fender.

This evening I called to get a status. It turns out that the painter painted the fender but can't get it to match. They want another week to correct it (which apparently means two weeks in their world.)

Now, I don't know if I'll get the color I ordered and waited six weeks for. I'm having serious doubts that they will get it to match.

So, at least three weeks in the shop, and no confidence that they'll get it right.

I'm thinking all new tins are in order.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. I like the color of your bike. So what is plan B?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't know yet. I'm still a bit pissed.

I was thinking of demanding a full paint job to ensure a color match. How good is the HD paint compared to a custom shop job? The guy is good and well respected for his hot rod work. The other option is to have them order a new fender from HD (which will take a long time.) maybe run with a black or primered fender until a new one is available.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
This one puts me off.

When I picked up my new bike on December 15th, there was a small paint defect on the rear fender. It was clearly a factory issue. It was a 1/2" long sag right under and behind the right fender strut.

I'm thinking all new tins are in order.

I am a pretty decent hobbies painter. I would never except a repainted fender on a brand new Harley.
Unless they agree to color sand the whole bike.
Otherwise have them get the fender back and put it on so you can ride it and order a new factory painted one from Harley.
I would not expect all new tins, color match from Harley should not be a problem.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 01-03-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its a warranty issue they should have traded fenders with the factory,nothing like original paint,wish you luck. might talk to the dealer and see if you can get it replaced with one from harley. even if the wait is longer, could have run on the original fender till it got there

Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

You're going to be changing it in the spring anyway! Roll with it! Lol!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be pissed also, that's bs

Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are planning on having it repainted later I would not worry about it but if you are not. I would ask for a factory rear fender that will match for sure. I don't understand why they did not do that in the first place. All the shops I use does. If it is a factory defect they cover it.

dd

Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Wykd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with harleycruiser, having painted my share of cars/bikes getting a color match can be iffy for some solid colors don't even get into the problems with metallics/kandy paints (lay of the flake, saturation etc...).

I hate that you had to experience this, but if they can't get it to your satisfaction this time around tell them they need to paint all of the tins then to get them all matching, or get you a matching color fender asap. Ask for compensation for the time the bike is in their hands etc... ya may hate to be a dick but sadly sometimes gotta be to get results.

Last edited by Wykd; 01-03-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Originally Posted by Wykd
Agree with harleycruiser, having painted my share of cars/bikes getting a color match can be a pain in the *** for solid colors don't even get into the problems with metallics/kandy paints (lay of the flake, saturation etc...).

I hate that you had to experience this, but if they can't get it to your satisfaction this time around tell them they need to paint all of the tins then to get them all matching, or get you a matching color fender asap. Ask for compensation for the time the bike is in their hands etc... ya may hate to be a dick but sadly sometimes gotta be to get results.
I agree! You bought a brand new bike. If it's not right they should correct it. However!

Quick Reply: Disappointing paint issue