Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parasitic power loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Parasitic power loss

One of the issues when doing the Fat Glide morph is the wiring. The 2012 harness is different than previous versions and as yet from three different dealers parts departments the dealers do not have interface adapters as yet. To that end wiring in things like stereo, extra gauges and such present certain challenges. I had installed a constant hot only to find that the key off parasitic power drain was killing my battery within 3-5 days. Today I pulled that off and rewired the main faring power supply to a keyed hot. One challenge is that my stereo goes into demo mode every time you turn it on plus it loses all your settings, and the iPod will start over from the first song unless you remember to disconnect it before turning off the key, all of which are a PITA but far less of a PITA than discovering a dead battery when you want to go for a ride. The other issue is when I run a GPS through my accessory plug the power will only be keyed.
Bob

Last edited by HYPR; 01-07-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I suppose you could leave the bike on a battery tender after each ride. Bit of a minor pain to have to plug it in but it would mean you could leave a live connection to the stereo etc.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
I suppose you could leave the bike on a battery tender after each ride. Bit of a minor pain to have to plug it in but it would mean you could leave a live connection to the stereo etc.
Yep, did that before deciding to do a load test to see how much was being drawn. At the end of the day the draw was just too much to be comfortable with it.
I really wish HD did a better job with both the design of the harness and availability of aftermarket Accessory jumpers.
They offer Accessory jumpers for all the other models except the Dyna's and offer nothing for the Bastard step child FXDF series. In addition the complete redo of the FXDF harness a few years ago for whatever reason makes this a very frustrating project.
Personally I think HD marketing dropped the ball big time on this. If you puruse the HD forums out there you see there are many guys doing mods on all the Dyna's including the Fat Bob so there is a ton of revenue they are giving away to others in aftermarket.
With a little forethought they could be offering electrical options, farings, luggage, windscreens, and much more. The upfront increase in manufactuing costs would easily be passed on to the sales price with hardly a noticable bump in retail cost.
For older models they could offer an upgraded harness interface (transalation...more revenue!).
Soap box is now open!
Bob