Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
ajmilberg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newbie Seeking advice

This beautiful Street Bob is my first bike, I got a great deal on it and so far, I love it, but I really don't know much when it comes to the whole mod scene. So I'm seeking your all's veteran riding advice. I love my Street Bob, but I've run into a problem...more wants than money, which I'm sure is a common problem. So what I'm seeking is everyone's input on what is most worthwhile (and affordable) and what is a waste. Currently it had vance & hines staggered short shots, some sort of a/c I haven't figured by who yet, and a V&H fuelpak. Other than that, it has waaaay more chrome than I care for, and I would prefer my handlebars about 2-6 inches higher, as well as highway pegs (without a engine guard however). So based off that, to replace the obnoxious amount of chrome, maybe a bit more power (not necessarily now) increased comfort, and better looks, what do you all recommend?

Attached Thumbnails Newbie Seeking advice-street-bob.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
RevRaz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool video about the different types of footpegs, clamps, setups

Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM
VIN1800
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice street bob, where at in MIssouri?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I had similar concerns and decided to set priorities as such.

1- overcome factory performance restrictions / reliability upgrades.
You already have this with the intake, pipes and fuel controller.
A set of cams will help but aren't necessary. Can be costly if you pay to have it done.
I upgraded my oil pump as well Feuling makes a fret aftermarket pump, Screamin' Eagle makes a good one. Both provide more flow and better scavenging.

2 - comfort
Decide on your bikes primary and secondary purposes. Outfit the bike with the seat(s), foot controls, bags, and handlebars for your comfort. Consider style and some thing overlap.

3 - style and cosmetics
Once your bike is at least unrestricted and ergonomically setup, you can then feel good about even the smallest aesthetic mods. You can buy stuff at your pace and know that your bike does it's job while you slowly (or quickly) make it pretty.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
DYNARYDER87
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Grab a manual, take some parts off and get them powdercoated if you want to get rid of that chrome. Other than that, id save my money for cam/tune

Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Do the handle bars, new blk LED turn signals(Joker Machine makes some small ones), and relocate front signals to forks. That will keep you busy without breaking the bank. Pipes look good, keep them for awhile at least, maybe a new black round ac later(lots of choices). Have fun and good luck!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
omaho5
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all that you want to do, Bank robbery comes to mind.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrades

Originally Posted by SLV
I had similar concerns and decided to set priorities as such.

1- overcome factory performance restrictions / reliability upgrades.
You already have this with the intake, pipes and fuel controller.
A set of cams will help but aren't necessary. Can be costly if you pay to have it done.
I upgraded my oil pump as well Feuling makes a fret aftermarket pump, Screamin' Eagle makes a good one. Both provide more flow and better scavenging.

2 - comfort
Decide on your bikes primary and secondary purposes. Outfit the bike with the seat(s), foot controls, bags, and handlebars for your comfort. Consider style and some thing overlap.

3 - style and cosmetics
Once your bike is at least unrestricted and ergonomically setup, you can then feel good about even the smallest aesthetic mods. You can buy stuff at your pace and know that your bike does it's job while you slowly (or quickly) make it pretty.
SLV is nuts on. Make it run the way you want it to first.

Make it comfortable to ride second.

Make it pretty last.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Lots of fun in your future. Ride safe. Theres all kinds of blind idiots out there.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
ajmilberg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Out in Troy seems to be nothing but bikers out here

Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Here are a couple highway peg options. I have forward controls, but if I had mids, I would add a set of these Bung King crash bar/highway pegs.

Another's option might be these clamps from DK Customs
The description says they attach to highway bars, but they might fit right on the frame rails. You'd have to ask the DK folks. They're on here all the time.

By they way, those reflectors come off your forks with heat from a hair dryer and some prying. Some people saw them off with fishing line or dental floss.

Quick Reply: Newbie Seeking advice