Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 inch ape hangers + wiring on 2006 FXDLi

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
harbourside
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 14 inch ape hangers + wiring on 2006 FXDLi

installed 14 inch wildone chubby outlawz. (well mocked up anyway) and have the tank and everything off to access all the cables and wires. now the hard part. figuring out exactly what lengths the replacement cables should be. i have really little patience when it comes to wiring so i got fed up and loaded it in the trailer to bring to a local custom shop that i have had a few people refer me to. (not the stealership because im sure they will be outrageously priced)

i have a 1.7" drag specialties riser so i guess ive got 15.7" of rise to the controls.

it would be a big help if you guys could let me know the lengths you bought to use, as i am kinda having second thoughts on having it done by a shop.
i think im gonna take it in anyways and see what the guy has to say about it and any suggestions he can give. but if the price is right i might actually end up just leaving it there and not worrying about it. i just dont wanna be stuck with a friggen huge bill for something that i really coulda done myself if i took the time and didnt get pissed off lol.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the kit you need for sale in the classifieds, minus the throttle cables. $40 plus the cost of throttle cable is way cheaper than the $180 kit. The cables are +4 by the way, just figured I'd shamelessly plug my extension kit while I was at it. Hit me up if you want the kit, and I'll cover shipping.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

And also, you can do the swap yourself. Don't pay someone to do something you can do with a little patience and some basic tools, other than the torx bits.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
harbourside
Novice

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
I have the kit you need for sale in the classifieds, minus the throttle cables. $40 plus the cost of throttle cable is way cheaper than the $180 kit. The cables are +4 by the way, just figured I'd shamelessly plug my extension kit while I was at it. Hit me up if you want the kit, and I'll cover shipping.

hey thanks for the reply, i even have the torks bits just lacking in the patience department. the old man is an aircraft mechanic so we usually tinker around on all my stuff ourselves.. and bicker a bit too. i kinda figured it was +4 i needed. i figured +4/+6 one of the 2.
i will keep your kit in mind, the dealer here quoted 30/cable but ill see what this shop says tomorrow, he doesnt know it but i went to school with his kid... so ill try and work somethin with him.

thanks for the info. i will keep you posted

Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
harbourside
Novice

so i brought bike to shop today and kinda talked to the guy and decided i was just gonna do it myself and order the cables through him. the throttle cable/idle cable i am replacing originally measured 30.5 inches to the bottom of the elbow. i measured i will need a 44" replacement. i honestly think measuring the cables and getting the proper ones is gonna be the hardest part of the job. so when ryderbiker says +4 i am getting reeeeally thrown off by that now. i think im just syking myself out and telling myself what im measuring cant be the right measurement. there is a buddy here with a 08 street bob with 16" apes so im gonna take a peek at his bike and check the lengths he used and that should be enough to reassure myself.

i soldered the wires and heat shrunk around the joints and then pulled through the bars. wow they went through like butter. super easy. i was worried theyd hang up on the bottom where it is a 90 degree straight bend.
once i get the proper lengths of cables ordered and installed i am ready to button everything back up and hopefully do a ride to souther california with a buddy (in the very early stages of planning but it will be for the last week of feb/first week march)