Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another headlight thread but for sealed beam - HID/LED retrofits

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Another headlight thread but for sealed beam - HID/LED retrofits

I've read quite a number of threads about folks upgrading their factory headlights with HID and LED bulbs, but I haven't seen one yet that addresses those of us with older bikes that use sealed beam bulbs and the eyebrow. The significance of the eyebrow is that I cannot easily use a different bucket.

Here's what I've come up with so far, and I'd like some more opinions:

7" headlights have lots of options, but the 5 3/4" do not. I can get a plug and play HD LED bulb, but it's crazy expensive and not everyone likes it. HID is very effective and relatively inexpensive (who'd have thought that we could ever say that ten years ago?) but of course I'd need a reflector setup to use it.

Am I able to buy a standard headlight housing from a modern HD and just plug it in? Not the brightest, but it should be a good improvement over my current sealed beam. If I decide to do the HID setup like Joe did on his bikes/atv/cars, what's the best kind of housing to get that will maximize the effectiveness of the HID?

Here's some links of products that look good, but of course I know little about:

http://store.candlepower.com/ca5quhahebun.html - Housing alone or with bulb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Headli...1e5777&vxp=mtr - Common housing sold at various retailers

http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/h...ights-c-71_480 - Lots of what appear to be quality kits.

I DO want to stick with hi and low beam.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I used the HID that Joe suggested which was $30 for two and got two extensions for so I could run the ballast under the seat for $12. $17 for a relay with everything that I needed for that. I guess I should have taken some pics of the install.

It took a little bit of time to get it sorted our properly but with Joe's help was a breeze and well worth it. I can actually see when I go to work in the morning now.

You could also get a whole new Drag Headlight for $50. That is what I did. The oart number is 2001-0553 and it has a black trim ring also.

Here is what I did. I took out the rubber grommet from the back of the headlight and enlarged the hole with a dremel so that the connectors for the hid would fit through the hole. I relocated all the plugs to outside of the headlight since I have a fairing to hide all of this. I put the HID bulb (H4) in the headlight housing with the wires run out the back and put the trim ring back on. I ran the HID extension under the tank back to under the seat on the left hand side of the bike. I plugged the headlight in to the extension and the other side of the extension into the ballast.

I got a relay and ran a wire direct to the battery. This is where a fuse should be run (15amp) but I ran my on the wire for the power the light. The ground from the ballast and the relay were run to a bolt that holds the fuse block in under the seat.

The power wire from the ballast was extended and run under the tank in the channel up to the headlight plug. This was plugged in to the low beam socket of the headlight connector so that the light is on with low beam and off when you flip to the high beams.
This has proved to work great. The light is so much brighter than what I had and I can see in the dark. It is is also much brighter in the daylight and cars tend to jump out of my way now which is a very nice added feature. I probably forgot some part of the install. If you have questions please ask.

I almost forgot, for the hole that was enlarged in the back of the headlight I wrapped the bushing that came in teh light in electrical tape until it fit nice and snug in the bucket. Not the best fix but it will do for now.

Last edited by Hogpro; 01-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

That's good information. I was really hoping not to have to do rewiring...is it necessary or just more efficient? Is the HID bright enough to wash out front running lights? I'd like to maintain the multiple points of reference for oncoming/turning drivers.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I added the relay as when I ran it without the relay it was not working properly. You should get an a/c ballast. I didn't know this and got a D/C ballast.