Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 FXRD need new exhaust what will fit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Jim Bragg
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 FXRD need new exhaust what will fit.

Am in the process of doing face lift on my 86 FXRD rear pipe cracked, i like the look of the twin exhaust but seem to be having a problem, finding anything new rear exhaust is cracked at the Y where the pipe spits in both directions. thinking of maybe going to thunderheaders 2 to 1. But would like a true dual, if it will adapt, to the 86 without alot of re-working of the hangers, any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 sets of pipes for 1986 FXR, one set is slash cut, the other is old school turnout style.. I also have the very special mounting bracket and rubber mount for them specific to you exact bike...

Dark right now, I will shoot some pics of both sets tomorrow in daylight and post them here so you can see if you are interested.. They are taking up space in the garage and I am sure we can work a very fair deal if you want to take one pair off my hands...

The following users liked this post:
Timberbrown (06-04-2021)
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check out cycle shack. they are great sounding pipes, perform better, and aren't nearly as expensive as most other exhaust systems.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

If I'm reading your post right, slip-ons aren't going to fix your problem Your rear pipe is cracked at the joint where it meets the crossover tube (the one that runs just below the air filter)? Vance & Hines and Cycle Shack make several styles that will fit and incorporate your brackets if you can't make a deal with Gigawitz.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain

I got to cleaning the pipes up and the slash cuts are not for 1986 FXR, the turnouts are right but upon cleaning them up, I noticed some hairline cracks by the bends under the heat shields.

Apologies, I am going to weld them up but I will not be able to get to that until monday as the shop is very busy right now..

If you don't find anything else by then I will post pics of what i have after they are welded...

Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigawitz
I got to cleaning the pipes up and the slash cuts are not for 1986 FXR, the turnouts are right but upon cleaning them up, I noticed some hairline cracks by the bends under the heat shields.

Apologies, I am going to weld them up but I will not be able to get to that until monday as the shop is very busy right now..

If you don't find anything else by then I will post pics of what i have after they are welded...
The exhaust in your sig pic is badass!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain

Thank you, it's a Hooker Fourbidden, best exhaust I have ever had on any Harley hands down for performance...

BTW, the bike in your sig pic is siiiick!!

Last edited by Gigawitz; 01-11-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Never heard of them, but it fits! Don't like a lot of 2 into ones but I would roll with that one.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Gigawitz
Road Captain

Agreed, 2 into 1 pipes don't look as good but the torque, sound, and performance is hard to beat.. That pipe won't work with mid controls so it's on the Softail..

Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

I know they perform better hands downs. Will look into them. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: 1986 FXRD need new exhaust what will fit.